Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

fancy battery setup

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author
Lake Erie Monster
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

fancy battery setup

Postby Lake Erie Monster » March 31st, 2014, 7:50 pm

So the previous owner of my boat gave me 6 new batteries. I have decided that I want 2 batteries per engine and one house battery does and one have a diagram handy on how I should go about this without blowing myself out of the water?
Adam and Shannon
28' Mariner twin 302's

"My other vessel is a Klingon Bird of Prey"

MissWhit's
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Re: fancy battery setup

Postby MissWhit's » April 1st, 2014, 10:58 am

You should only use one battery per engine/generator and the rest on the house battery. The batteries for the engines are only used during starting and charge by the alternator while the engines run. The house battery should be separte and only charged by the shore power battery charger. The house battery/ies used the most current at any time since they supply all the lighting, refrigeration (when not on shore power), heads and water pump power. Place the house batteries in Parallel for more amp hours of operation. Parallel means + to + and - to - (positive to positive and negative to negative). One note that I will mention is all boats are not wired identically. My Cruiser yacht had a totally different battery configuration than my Carver 406.
MissWhit's
Lake Texoma, Denison TX
Port: EYC Marina
2001 406 twin 380HP 454 MPI

Return to “Electrical”