Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

On-board Battery Charger with Generator and Engines Running

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: On-board Battery Charger with Generator and Engines Running

Postby Midnightsun » January 31st, 2023, 7:49 am

don't switch while the engines are running unless you are sure that the wiring is so that the alternator is always connected to some battery bank.

This is one of the reasons you cannot use your alternator connected to a LifePo4 (Lithium) battery since the BMS will disconnect abruptly when fully charged or some some other abnormal parameter may occur which will also cause a disconnect. In other words, same as removing the battery from a running alternator. Poof goes the alternator. :-O
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 31st, 2023, 9:03 am

Just to add.... Your boats operating manual does explain the main switch operation but just to remind...... even with the make before break switches ( which are labelled if I remember right as such ), you still need to remember NOT to cycle the switch thru the OFF position with any engines running or else there is risk of damage..
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » January 31st, 2023, 9:14 am

Another issue with using a common battery source for both engines is that it's harder to tell if ONE of the engines is having a problem with its charging circuit until BOTH have a problem. I like the installations that have a dedicated battery for each engine, with an "emergency start" contactor between them for low/dead battery issues.

This way when you look at the voltage for each engine, you're seeing the charging voltage when it's running, and the dedicated battery voltage when it's not, rather than just seeing the combined voltage.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 31st, 2023, 11:00 am

To add.....I do know for instance that, Mercruisers for one, ecu operated engine package install instructions clearly state that a separate battery is required for each engine due to needing a stable voltage. Now whether the boat makers have stuck to this is open for discussion but I can say that the ones around 2001 are that way and can be read thru the dash volt meters.....but you have to know how to manipulate things, again this creates another unfortunate user problem.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » January 31st, 2023, 2:15 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post ...even with the make before break switches, you still need to remember NOT to cycle the switch thru the OFF position with any engines running....
That is correct. Most new switches now have the OFF position at one end rather than in the middle like some used to, you would pass through the OFF position when switching between banks. From what I recall, newer switches will say something like "Stop engines before switching to OFF"

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » January 31st, 2023, 2:26 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post....I like the installations that have a dedicated battery for each engine, with an "emergency start" contactor between them for low/dead battery issues.....
This is what I've been preaching for years. A solenoid, some wiring, and a switch at the helm is all you need. Simple, inexpensive, and no parasitic monitoring draws. You just have to ensure that the switch (rocker, toggle, pushbutton, etc.) for the helm is a "momentary" type that releases when you let go so the banks return to an isolated state. Nothing to forget!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 1st, 2023, 9:35 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post This is what I've been preaching for years. A solenoid, some wiring, and a switch at the helm is all you need. Simple, inexpensive, and no parasitic monitoring draws.

Trojan boats had that exact thing as an option in their models as far back as the 70's......

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » February 1st, 2023, 3:16 pm

It goes further back than that with Trojan bud, I had a '60's Trojan woodie with that option, it was awesome. Never had to worry about maintaining a selector switch, and the paralleling option at the helm came in handy a few times.

Return to “Electrical”