Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

121805eg c-charger 5000 out of commision

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 121805eg c-charger 5000 out of commision

Postby km1125 » November 7th, 2023, 10:13 pm

Well, for a second it looked like there wasn't a negative cable on that bottom battery, but there is. Wondering why there are two red cables on that battery, and where each of those go to.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 8th, 2023, 7:14 am

There are a couple of things that stand out to me, there may not necessarily be anything wrong as we're going by a pic and can't follow wires but this stood out;
- there seems to be 4 main load cables but there is a 1-2-BOTH switch which would only control loads from 2 sources. This could be explained though by other loads not going through the selector switch like separate windlass and thruster batteries. This should be clarified
- I trust the bottom battery is NOT the generator battery as usually the generator battery is under the generator and I do see at the very bottom of the pic what looks like the start of a battery or tray. It stood out at first because my thinking was that if the bottom battery was for the generator and being charged by the house charger, it may not be hooked up to the common ground and not being charged as a lot of generators aren't hooked up to DC's common ground. Having said that, I suspect now that it's not the generator battery. If it's a windlass or thruster battery and that negative cable goes directly to the thruster or windlass, it's not being charged because there's no negative connection to the charger unless it's tapped in somewhere else.
- I don't see a paralleling cable joining two batteries in a bank for say house loads, or is one battery for house, one for engines, and one for windlass or thruster? If that's the case, I'd say the house bank is too small for that size boat but it really does come down to your boating habits. Is there a paralleling cable but it's just looped up to the main bundle of cables on the stringer? If so, that would explain a couple of things I mentioned above. They just seem to all be heading aft.
- what is the bundle of small gauge red and white wires for that are left of the middle battery that don't seem to go anywhere?
- I'm sure it's probably just looped over and heads back but under the port engine along the stringer is a red cable that seems to dead end. Where does that go?
- is there a ground cable going directly from one engine to the other or are all negatives going to a common bus bar?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 8th, 2023, 7:45 am

Viper see below.

I have 3 batteries, 2 are on a switch "1, ALL, 2 or OFF". 3rd battery is gen battery, which have never been used last several years, as I never got around getting it to work. but that has it's own on of switch

so the 2 batteries are #1 for engine #2 for house. But current charger is charging all 3.

All 3 batteries are multipurpose deep cycle marine AGM batteries, purchased at NAPA Auto Parts.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 8th, 2023, 8:18 am

So here is what stood out to me. The install is clean, battery tops and connections clean, cables are run nicely with what appears to be factory ties, the cables have their tags still affixed, the bottom battery I think may be the gen battery as it appears to have a charging cable run to it as that red cable is slightly smaller than the others and the gen exhaust appears to be there as well.
So there are two oem red cable feeds to the other two batteries and the top battery has 3 grounds attached. If their tags are still there then they will be numbered 1 and 2 relating to the main switch position, or should be.
Now generally both engines are tied together across and most cable grounds go to studs mounted to the engine block bell housing area, not all on one battery. They all appear to be tagged.

So anyway that is what I take from that pic.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Postby cpoint » November 20th, 2023, 12:30 pm

Hi guys, sorry for late follow up. Not getting too much time lately on this. but first in response to above few comments. Sorry for not so clear image. Basically Batteries (as pictured on page 3) are top to bottom START, HOUSE, GEN. Nothings been changed in the order they are in. The START and HOUSE on switch that has 1-BOTH-2. Gen has it's on ON-OFF switch near gen. Hence you see 2 red (positive) in bottom picture. One coming from Charger, Other going to GEN switch. And negative is hooked up, just not clear in picture.

Getting back to current status, all is well, except I do need to replace START and GEN battery as they are 5 years old. The HOUSE is new, that I just purchased. Electrician did check everything. Showed charger was installed correctly and is charging correctly. Batteries getting power/charge properly. a week before I had tightened the wires on battery, believe before they were not connecting well. Unfortunately, due to lack of time heading out there, I called and had it checked by electrician. Apparently I fixed the issue by tightening the wiring. So that's good, but now I need to pay for service call that was not needed :-D

So, I winterized it this weekend, won't know till next season if all is grand or some other problem pop up :-D

Thank you all for helpful information, I believe it helped me to troubleshoot and resolve it.

Return to “Electrical”