Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

121805eg c-charger 5000 out of commision

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: 121805eg c-charger 5000 out of commision

Postby Midnightsun » September 19th, 2023, 3:00 pm

If it's factory there should already be fuses or breakers for each bank. Just curious as to why you need to add this item.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Postby cpoint » September 19th, 2023, 11:30 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post If it's factory there should already be fuses or breakers for each bank. Just curious as to why you need to add this item.

Original Charger I removed has the fuse for AC side as well as for DC side in the unit. I assumed ProNautic 50 amp was all inclusive, but as I was reading the instructions, it says to add to each positive wire a fuse 10 over max charger is set for, since this is 50amp, I got 3 x 60 amps

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 20th, 2023, 7:02 am

Don't you have DC charger breakers under one of the steps as I mentioned before?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 20th, 2023, 8:01 am

cpoint wrote:Source of the post Original Charger I removed has the fuse for AC side as well as for DC side in the unit. I assumed ProNautic 50 amp was all inclusive, but as I was reading the instructions, it says to add to each positive wire a fuse 10 over max charger is set for, since this is 50amp, I got 3 x 60 amps

That would be for if you are running cables directly from the charger to the battery banks.
Is that what you are doing ?.....have you followed the path of the existing 12vdc charger cables if you are using them ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 20th, 2023, 8:26 am

cpoint wrote:Source of the post
Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post If it's factory there should already be fuses or breakers for each bank. Just curious as to why you need to add this item.

Original Charger I removed has the fuse for AC side as well as for DC side in the unit. I assumed ProNautic 50 amp was all inclusive, but as I was reading the instructions, it says to add to each positive wire a fuse 10 over max charger is set for, since this is 50amp, I got 3 x 60 amps

Your Pronautic will also have fuses inside for both the AC and DC circuits. The fuses you're adding to the battery lines should be mounted closest to the BATTERY and are designed to protect those lines from BATTERY current should there be any problem closer towards the charger. They are sized larger than the charger so they couldn't cause "nuisance" trips with the charger at full output.

Unlike most wires on a boat, the battery charger leads can have current sourced from EITHER direction, so they need to be protected from both ends. If you put them close to the charger, then you may as well not put them in at all.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 20th, 2023, 8:46 am

To add, this begs the question, are your battery banks in the engine compartment ?
If so those fuses near the battery connections need to be the correct type for install in engine compartment or at least be installed in a spark proof case......those are available, check Blue Sea Systems, I believe we had discussion about this very thing a while back. Memory is getting vague..... :-O
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » September 20th, 2023, 10:53 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Don't you have DC charger breakers under one of the steps as I mentioned before?

Yes, There is actually. Attached is a picture I had taken long ago. so there is a fuse on this I am assuming. I never opened this panel up (I mean the back of it). So again I am assuming the lines from charger are going through this panel before reaching battery. I'll check to make sure next time I am out there. Thanks for pointing this out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » September 20th, 2023, 11:36 am

So from the sounds of it, I don't need to add fuse to DC side. I guess good to have, but I am only swapping out one with another, which seemed to survive without having external fuse at battery side. And also as (Km mentioned above) needs to be near battery side, so this answers my original question about placement. I can pretty much leave charger as is flat on the original shelf, or put it vertical so easier to read at a glance. I think we are all good. Thanks for clarifying the fuse/lines issues all.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 20th, 2023, 11:55 am

My guess is that the charger connects to the batteries at that Guest switch, which means the charger "leads" are just the distance from those breakers to the Guest switch. That's just fine.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 20th, 2023, 12:21 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post My guess is that the charger connects to the batteries at that Guest switch, which means the charger "leads" are just the distance from those breakers to the Guest switch. That's just fine.

Exactly !!!! If it is factory that is how it is....Midnightsun, viper and my self have pointed this out already. I don't believe at this point cpoint has verified this by following the cable routing to and where the breakers are already installed or what is installed in that panel.

Of course someone before may have messed with this factory set up and that needs to be verified because the op has already had some sort of problem after starting the new charger. I have installed one of these in a boat of the same vintage and can say that that panel where the selector switch ( battery switch ) is, is jamb packed behind and I along with others have found broken connectors, loose screws, cracked breakers etc, etc due to the cables/wiring being forced into that tiny space. It needs to be checked is all I got left now. I just feel this last bit is important so the instal is safe for cpoint and his guests/family.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, just need to cross some things off.

Return to “Electrical”