Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

121805eg c-charger 5000 out of commision

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

121805eg c-charger 5000 out of commision

Postby cpoint » September 9th, 2023, 11:09 pm

Well fixed the gas problem, and here we are back to the boat and charger problem :banghead:

It looks like the original item. Never had any issues. Today when we got there had couple lights on, and blower in engine bay running. about an hour or two later I went back in and noticed all lights were out. checked and there was power to the boat from dock, so all outlets were on. And banks selector normally I keep on "BOTH" but was left on house battery (2) luckily. So battery was dead, as it was not charging (Batteries are new, got them earlier in the season. So I am no electrician, but assumption is charger is not charging. I switch to main battery, all lights get back on. But did not want to drain that battery and not be able to charge it back up. So I let it be. Started looking for the replacement battery Charger "121805eg c-charger 5000 series 20 amp". I am sure it is no longer made and do not want one from eBay that may or may not work, or worst yet may have electrical problems. So question for you all is anyone replaced this exact same charger with another? what is recommended, for easy swap of old and new for a non-electrician as me. Granted, I have done many electrical work around the house. Appreciate any inputs anyone may have on this, thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Re: 121805eg c-charger 5000 out of commision

Postby cpoint » September 10th, 2023, 12:30 am

Actually, I am examining the pictures, wish I had paid attention more while I was there. Looks like fuse may be out, but I could be wrong. So I ordered one of each fuse on Amazon. Not sure exact fuse, the manual has model number 121805EG SP 5000 series, but I see no reference to to 121805EG without SP in model number in PDF where they have fuses listed. Mine is 2000 model, so maybe this 5000 series was updated to SP? I will call them Monday if they are still in business. But if anyone has any input on this charger, fuse types/codes, etc. really would be grateful. Thanks.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 10th, 2023, 6:23 am

Charles no longer makes these and has no replacements. There are much better/smarter units made today by dozens of companies. So many to choose from with the only factor is how big do you want to go and if you want multiple chemistry selection. If you remain with the same 20a output installation is just a swap out and nothing more. Going to a larger unit such as 50 or 60 a will most likely require beefing up the 125v supply line and breaker and also the 12v lines to the batteries.

Personally I went with the Promariner Pronautic brand/model in the 50a flavour. This would be their 20a unit and a direct replacement for yours. Like I said, this brand was my choice but in reality any 20a marine rated charger will work for you.
https://www.promariner.com/en/p/63120/ProNautic-1220P

Oddly enough the name plate you pictured above says your charger is suited for GEL batteries which may be what Carver installed from the factory at the time. I seriously doubt you have GEL batteries on boat now therefor it would be important to set/check the battery selector switch so inconveniently mounted on the back side to the correct battery type IF you get this one working. Although the charging parameters are only slightly different it will definitely affect the longevity of a lead acid battery as GEL charges at a lower voltage.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 10th, 2023, 9:55 am

I'm pretty sure that's an 80 amp charger going by the label in the picture. 20 amp is too small for a boat that size IMO.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 10th, 2023, 10:34 am

Yup 80 amps at 12 volts DC.....the 20 is the draw at 120 vac. I agree swap it out , its old and done and like has been said the newer ones are head and shoulders better at maintaining batteries properly and safely.

Another vote for the pronautic 1250 minimum for you. Considering what you have a quick check to make sure and should be a straight swap with one extra ground , just follow the install instructions to the letter. Good luck.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » September 10th, 2023, 12:01 pm

Thanks midnightsun for the input. I figured they did not. I noticed the cell switch as well, I did not remove the unit yet so not sure what the setting was. But assuming it is set correctly, as it's been working without any issues an same type batteries (AGM batteries deep cycle multipurpose from NAPA). Not sure why they did not put that switch in to the part that slides open that's pictured where fuses are :) In any case. I was looking at replacements, including the one you sent link to. I'll see which one I'll go with. At this point I do not want to add too much power or cost wise, already went over budget for the year on fuel issues, so I'll find one reasonable in price, easy to install and same specs as possible.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » September 10th, 2023, 12:03 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post I'm pretty sure that's an 80 amp charger going by the label in the picture. 20 amp is too small for a boat that size IMO.

Viper, I think I may have mistyped, looking at the 3rd image, which is the label, I wrote 20amp left side, on right side it says 80amp. I think left side is input (110/120) and right side is batteries?

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » September 10th, 2023, 12:08 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Yup 80 amps at 12 volts DC.....the 20 is the draw at 120 vac. I agree swap it out , its old and done and like has been said the newer ones are head and shoulders better at maintaining batteries properly and safely.

Another vote for the pronautic 1250 minimum for you. Considering what you have a quick check to make sure and should be a straight swap with one extra ground , just follow the install instructions to the letter. Good luck.

OK that's 2 votes on pronautic. More than what I wanted to spend, but looks like west marine has $100 off :down:

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » September 10th, 2023, 12:12 pm

One question though, 1250 says 50amp, current one is 80amp, is this OK? what is the loss, longer charge time? which is not an issue, as it is always on, 99.9% of time it is at dock charging.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 10th, 2023, 12:37 pm

Could be a longer charge time but really you may never see the max charge amps......depends.

So what are your battery banks now, how many batteries in each bank and what type are they ?

I had a 1250 and it comfortably handled two banks, one with two starts and the other bank with 4x6 volts Rolls deep cycle house batteries. I earlier said 1250 minimum, it is up to you what you choose, but now , if the wiring is all up to spec for the 80amp charger you currently have then it may be fine for what you choose.

Again make sure you check everything first before changing out.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Electrical”