Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

'89 Santego, diesel, where are your batteries located?

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
bobwhorn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867. Repowered with Cat 3116s in 1993.

'89 Santego, diesel, where are your batteries located?

Postby bobwhorn » October 9th, 2023, 5:38 pm

The boat was re-powered in '93 with 3116 Cat engines. The batteries are located at the front and outside of the engine compartment, right under the exhaust pipes. Starboard engine I would have to remove the huge exhaust pipe to get them out plus there is no way to check water level. Port engine batteries I may be able remove with the exhaust system in place, but again, no way to check water (electrolyte) level.
Anyone with a diesel Santero, where are the batteries located?

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Re: '89 Santego, diesel, where are your batteries located?

Postby ColRon » October 16th, 2023, 5:55 pm

bobwhorn, you have a rare bird, as diesels weren't even an option on the 89 3867 Santego. It wasn't an option until later years. as you noted it was repowered with the cat's, but it likely had either Crusader or MerCruiser's 454's originally, as those were the only two engine options in 89. I have an 89 3867 Santego and my batteries are located between the outside of the engines and the hull, on the port side of the port engine and the starboard side of the starboard engine. I have 3 batteries on each side and there is plenty of room there and they sit on a wooden platform on the outside the outside engine stringer. The Generator battery is located in the bilge underneath the generator which is located in the center of the engine bay between the engines.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

bobwhorn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby bobwhorn » October 17th, 2023, 10:10 am

Heading to the boat today. I'll post some pictures. Batteries are totally inaccessible without removing big exhaust pipes.
Bob

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 17th, 2023, 11:49 am

bobwhorn wrote:Source of the post Heading to the boat today. I'll post some pictures. Batteries are totally inaccessible without removing big exhaust pipes.
Bob

Maybe consider a battery bank under the cockpit aft seat bench. I have seen them in there before.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

bobwhorn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby bobwhorn » October 17th, 2023, 1:13 pm

The thought right now is to build a Starboard tray big enough to hold two group 31 AGM batteries, one for each engine and mount it at the front of the starboard stringer. One of those doesn't quite have the cranking amps as two group 27 batteries, but should be enough here in sunny TX.
We come from sailboats and always had a big house bank (six deep discharge golf cart batteries) to run the fridge, freezer and lights and a big inverter for the microwave and coffee pot. I was thinking of using the space under that seat for that purpose. Future project.

Return to “Electrical”