Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Battery care for the winter - 2000 396 aft cabin

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
tgebler
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2000 396 AC

Battery care for the winter - 2000 396 aft cabin

Postby tgebler » October 10th, 2023, 10:56 am

My boat will be in the water this winter in Pittsburgh. It has twin V8 Mercruiser engines. There will be power to the boat.

I am looking for advice about the batteries. Do I remove them, leave them in the boat with the battery chargers on, leave them in but disconnected or some other option?

Thanks for your input.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Battery care for the winter - 2000 396 aft cabin

Postby km1125 » October 10th, 2023, 12:56 pm

If it's in the water I'd think you'd always want the bilge pumps available and powered up.

I would leave the batteries connected and on the charger, provided the charger is a decent "marine grade" one.

Just curious... will you be visiting the boat over the winter? Are you very far from it? Do the need to bubble the water or is there enough flow to keep it from freezing?

Topic author United States of America
tgebler
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2000 396 AC

Postby tgebler » October 10th, 2023, 4:14 pm

I live three blocks from the dock and I plan to visit on a regular basis. We dock at the Oakmont Yacht Club where I serve on the Board, so yeah, I am around.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 10th, 2023, 4:34 pm

tgebler wrote:Source of the post I live three blocks from the dock and I plan to visit on a regular basis. We dock at the Oakmont Yacht Club where I serve on the Board, so yeah, I am around.

What are the experienced club members doing that have stayed in at your club before. As mentioned you really need a good charger that goes to float so no overcharge. Properly fully charged batteries can handle cold well. Let's face we drive around with them all winter.

I have taken batteries home and left them in.....no difference except leaving them is easier on the old body.....but never left a boat in for the winter.

One thing I will add, clean the battery terminals and the battery tops.....dirty battery tops will discharge.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » October 10th, 2023, 5:33 pm

If it was me and I lived 3 blocks away, I wouldn’t even leave them on the charger. Every tine you visit, turn on the charger while you are there.
I’ve had larger boats for almost 30 years and I leave them in the water every other winter and on the hard on the off winter. I’ve never left my battery charger on and I’m 2 hours away. I try to visit the boat 2-3 times during the winter and I turn on my charger for the hour or so I am there. Never had a battery issue.

Return to “Electrical”