Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Add Circuit for Aft Deck Lights

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Mikwallace
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 405 AC 7.4 Horizon engines

Add Circuit for Aft Deck Lights

Postby Mikwallace » November 2nd, 2023, 12:23 am

I’d like to add more lights but a different color to the Aft Deck overhead lights. The current switch operates two overhead lights. I’d like to change the switch to a SPDT but can’t figure out how to route the wire from switch to lights? The current switch is starboard of the salon access doors (picture attached).

IMG_5604.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1959 Larson 16’
1979 Caravelle 18’
1998 Chaparral 2330 7.4 L Mercruiser
2003 Chaparral 260 Ssi 8.1 L VolvoPenta DuoProp
1998 Carver 405 AC 7.4 Horizons
:captain2:
:usa:

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Add Circuit for Aft Deck Lights

Postby g36 » November 2nd, 2023, 6:30 am

On my 405 I thought about the same thing. I wanted to have red light and white light options. I found these bi color leds that plug into the existing fixture and no wiring involved. So I now have my 2 colors by simply toggling the existing switch...https://www.apexlighting.com/accessorie ... lUQAvD_Bwe

Or here with other color options.....https://www.superbrightleds.com/g4-led- ... 130-lumens
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author United States of America
Mikwallace
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 405 AC 7.4 Horizon engines

Postby Mikwallace » November 3rd, 2023, 1:48 am

g36 wrote:Source of the post On my 405 I thought about the same thing. I wanted to have red light and white light options. I found these bi color leds that plug into the existing fixture and no wiring involved. So I now have my 2 colors by simply toggling the existing switch...https://www.apexlighting.com/accessorie ... lUQAvD_Bwe

Or here with other color options.....https://www.superbrightleds.com/g4-led- ... 130-lumens

Thanks! Didn’t know there was such a light that would switch like that. Solves my problem. And I can easily add a couple more lights.
1959 Larson 16’
1979 Caravelle 18’
1998 Chaparral 2330 7.4 L Mercruiser
2003 Chaparral 260 Ssi 8.1 L VolvoPenta DuoProp
1998 Carver 405 AC 7.4 Horizons
:captain2:
:usa:

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 3rd, 2023, 9:39 am

I used to have salon lights that could be switched to red , really helped with night vision as the boat had a lower helm.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » November 3rd, 2023, 11:07 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post I used to have salon lights that could be switched to red , really helped with night vision as the boat had a lower helm.

That's why these are really cool. Theres nothing to do but add this led bulb and you can have white and red choices (or blue)by toggling the existing switch without doing anything to the fixture or the switch. Inside my 405 there is a white ceiling single light over the stbd side galley that I replaced with this (can still have white when needed or red )along with the sundeck lights. So at night I can go red inside and out if I want for nite vision.. Easy peasy.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Return to “Electrical”