Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Kohler generator for dummies, questions

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author
glazingguru
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 355 Aft Cabin

Kohler generator for dummies, questions

Postby glazingguru » June 10th, 2014, 6:00 pm

Hi,
Because we are usually in the slip when we need power, I have yet to need my generator. I have started it a few times and will make a habit out of starting it more often. I realized that although I started it, I had put no load on it. The instructions I have are vague as far as how to start and use it. I switch the shore power to off and start it, then I flip the breaker switch on the generator to on and now what? I dont see anything happen and no sign of electrical power. Can anyone give me step by step instructions? I feel kind of dumb here.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Re: Kohler generator for dummies, questions

Postby Lyndon670 » June 10th, 2014, 7:06 pm

What size Kohler is it and what is the kw output?

It is very easy to do, start by turning on your blowers. Once you are comfortable that the vapours are out, hold the toggle (or turn the switch) to the 'start" position. Once you here the genny is running, return the switch/toggle ro the "run" position. Now you will also see a switch on your AC panel that says "SHORE" or GENERATOR. It is set up that the switch can't be in the same position (Shore and Generator) at the same time. Flick the switch to the "Generator" setting. You may have a faulty AC meter on the panel, so don't count on the reliability of its readings. Plug a nightlight into an outlet that you can see from the panel.

If none of this works, there is 2 switches/breakers on the genny. One is a start switch and the other is a breaker that will run the power to the panel.

If this doesn't work, you may have to have a marine electrician to look at it.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Topic author
glazingguru
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby glazingguru » June 23rd, 2014, 10:23 am

I guess I'll keep trying. I went out last weekend and looked a little more. The toggle on the circuit panel has two position, start and run. On the side of the genny there is a breaker switch marked on and off and a start/run toggle. The electrical panel has two indicators, shore power and AC.

eric_b
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Carver 3227 Convertible

Postby eric_b » June 25th, 2014, 8:34 am

On my 1986 32 Convertible, there is a relay in the AC panel that knows when the genny is running and autoimatically switches the circuit. So for me, all I do is turn off AC mains, disconnect Shore Power, start Genny, turn on AC mains.

Real Simple.... 8-)
1986 Carver 3227 Convertible

United States of America
Tommyfmu
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 325 Aft Cabin Motoryacht

Postby Tommyfmu » August 20th, 2014, 11:52 am

Problems with a generator comes more from not using it, than by using it. They should be run, as a general rule of thumb, at least once per week for at least one hour under some load.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » August 21st, 2014, 7:05 am

glazingguru wrote:Hi,
I flip the breaker switch on the generator to on and now what? I dont see anything happen and no sign of electrical power.

are you opening the engine hatch each time and flipping it on the genset? once you know that the breaker on the genset is on you dont need to switch it off each time you run it just leave it alone. following the above instructions with starting and turning the ship/shore switch to ship(generator)also make sure the main breakers on the panel are on mine will usually flip off when turning the ship /shore switch verify they are on with the genset running. if you have movement on the ac panel meters when at the dock you will see them operate on the genset. also i dont know how long you've had your boat, but did the genset develop power when you had a survey? or anytime?
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author
glazingguru
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby glazingguru » August 28th, 2014, 8:54 am

Well, I figured it out and it wasnt that hard. HOWEVER, the damn thing still ran for a while and then shut itself off. I couldnt figure it out so I asked a mechanic to look at it. Come to find out, the wet muffler was shot and leaking into the bilge. The guy said it was even possible it could leak while not being run??? Anyway, I am replacing it and I hope that cures the problem with it shitting itself off because I suspect it was overheating.

United States of America
4mo
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby 4mo » October 29th, 2017, 11:04 am

This site is great, first night out on our 370 and the generator was working but the load switch on the generator wasn't on. 2 minutes online and my wife thinks I'm competent.

Thanks!

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » October 29th, 2017, 4:09 pm

I am glad you found a problem. I say A problem because the leaking muffler would not cause the generator to overheat or shut down, it would just but water and CO into your bilge, both of course not good.
If you don't use it often, try replacing the raw water impeller, it may be that simple. If not let us know.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 29th, 2017, 6:50 pm

4mo wrote:Source of the post This site is great, first night out on our 370 and the generator was working but the load switch on the generator wasn't on. 2 minutes online and my wife thinks I'm competent.

Thanks!

And the admiral is correct.... :-D ....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Electrical”