Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Inverter installation... No wiring schematic!

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
KnotSure
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 455

Inverter installation... No wiring schematic!

Postby KnotSure » February 11th, 2024, 8:15 pm

So I'm wanting to add an inverter/charger and some monitoring capability (as well as a dedicated house bank) to my 1996 455. I think I finally have a grasp on how I want the future system to look, but my problem now is I can't find ANYTHING with any details about how the original electrical system was wired. In the owner's manual for both DC and AC Systems there's a schematics page... But it's blank and says "Not available at time of printing" which is less than helpful. Anybody know where I can find one, or who can at least help me understand where the shore power goes between the inlet on the stern and the breaker panel?
1996 455 "Knot Sure"
Eden Isle, La

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Inverter installation... No wiring schematic!

Postby km1125 » February 12th, 2024, 12:11 pm

I can't speak specifically to the 455, but for boats of similar style and vintage the the incoming power usually goes from the shore entrance to a box near or behind the main breaker panel. This box is the auto-transfer function between incoming shore power and the onboard genset. Then the output of that box goes to the main AC panel.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 12th, 2024, 1:36 pm

The other possibility is going straight to the main panel as an "AC Main" and a separate generator breaker with a locking device so only one can be chosen at a time. Could also be labeled ship and shore. Have even seen some with a rotary switch to select between ship and shore.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » February 12th, 2024, 9:01 pm

My 97 405 has the shore power coming in straight to the electrical panel. No auto transfer. The switch over to genset is manual switches in the panel.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author United States of America
KnotSure
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 455

Postby KnotSure » February 15th, 2024, 11:54 am

Thanks for the info, that helps! Sounds like I'll just need to run the Shore down to the Victron and back up to the panel, same with generator, and the Victron has auto-switching so I'll have to figure out how to rewire the panel to accommodate for that.
1996 455 "Knot Sure"
Eden Isle, La

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 15th, 2024, 12:27 pm

You really should think about what all you want on the inverter. Usually, if you already are equipped with a genset, you'd be using the inverter to minimize genset runtime - or at least how many times a day you run it, and just use it to recharge the batteries. So the genset may not run less hours, just more rare on starts (maybe once per day) while you still have AC available at any time or things like microwaves, coffeepots or blenders.

You also want to figure out if the inverter is going to be running the HVAC. That would require a much larger battery bank to do any good. There are a few threads on here with discussions about this.

Return to “Electrical”