Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

No Power, Might Be Fuses? 4207

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: No Power, Might Be Fuses? 4207

Postby Viper » February 24th, 2024, 4:49 pm

I asked because it's pretty common for boats of that vintage with that type of electrical setup to have their air conditioner side inlets/cords, etc. experience wiring failures. Most of the 4207, 3807 models came with 3 AC units that drew a lot of power (older tech). They came with 50 amp services but when all 3 are running with less than perfect cords, inlets, and outlets, it doesn't take much for the current to jump up and accelerate source hardware problems.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 24th, 2024, 5:45 pm

Speaking of amperage spikes from AC units. Have one of these installed on my home 3 1/2 ton AC unit. Really drops the amps to less than half at startup and actually allows the unit to run more efficiently. Wonder if installation on a boat would be worth the money. Problem on a boat like mine is I would need three units which would get rather pricey. https://www.microair.net/products/easys ... 0176048267
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » February 25th, 2024, 8:06 am

That would be a cool add-on for some big units for sure!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 25th, 2024, 9:45 am

Wiring in a large capacitor would do the same thing. I bet the unit you describe probably has one. On a previous boat (old woodie), I had a 110 volt only fridge which I wanted to run on the hook as well so I connected a small dedicated inverter that I had lying around. The problem was the surge rating on the inverter was lower than I was experiencing every time the fridge started up, thus tripping the inverter intermittently. I hooked up a capacitor which assisted the start and never had an issue after that.

The problem I mentioned earlier above was continuous running, not just start up, the older units draw way more than the new ones do. Even on a 50 amp service, running 3 of them at the same time for extended periods taxes the electrical supply hardware when the hardware and conditions are less than perfect.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 25th, 2024, 10:27 am

Especially when 3 old compressors happen to start at the same time...... :-O
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 25th, 2024, 12:43 pm

This is not a hard start capacitor, rather a soft start device for lack of a better term. Much better and solves several issues such as....... Major reduction in startup amps, reduces startup compressor noise to almost nothing. In my case at home the lights would dim slightly when the compressor kicked in, no more after install.

Here is a good vid showing the benefits on an install in a camper. Long watch but tells the entire story.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “Electrical”