Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

No Power, Might Be Fuses? 4207

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Morningstar4207
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 4207 Carver Californian

No Power, Might Be Fuses? 4207

Postby Morningstar4207 » February 22nd, 2024, 7:45 am

Hi everyone, our 1986 4207 is having some electrical issues. It doesn't appear to be our power cord or pedestal. We haven't installed any new appliances but our power keeps tripping. I noticed the amp meter was drawing twice as much amperage as normal before it started turning itself off. It's acting like a blown fuse maybe but it still turns on for a little while, everything runs, and then it trips off again. Has anyone replaced any fuses/switches on the main power panel? Are there any tests you suggest to help us troubleshoot why the power won't stay on? Thank you!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: No Power, Might Be Fuses? 4207

Postby bud37 » February 22nd, 2024, 10:25 am

Heh there....try removing one appliance at a time from your system, just unplug each one , that will remove it from the system, you could just open each breaker then see what happens. It is important to do this one at a time to try and identify if you have a bad appliance or circuit, especially after having seen an increase in amps used before this issue cropped up.

If the issue stops then perhaps you have found the culprit. Really you could have a weak breaker, it happens, but I would investigate the sudden increase in amp draw. Good luck man and be careful with electrical work, if not comfortable hire a marine qualified electrician.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 22nd, 2024, 10:28 am

Turn off all the individual circuit breakers and only leave the MAIN ones on. If the shore power stays working and does not trip, then turn each individual breaker on for a time (say, 10 minutes) to see if one of those circuits is actually what is tripping the main off.

If the main trips without any of the individual breakers turned on then you might have a problem with a neutral connection, which will cause a ground fault to trip the breaker.

I'm betting it's an individual circuit because of your comment "drawing twice as much amperage".

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » February 22nd, 2024, 11:54 am

Did you try to connect a different boat to the power pedestal, same connector, on the dock? I had the same issue a few years back. I inquired to the dockmaster about potential electrical issue on the dock. His initial response was " no issues with the dock ". Next day we noticed a number of dead fish laying under the dock. Turns out, a wire did break a couple of slips away. The electrician who repaired that break said there was double the amount of power being delivered to the final 3 slips in the run and current going into the water. Fish would swim through and get zapped. I am by no means an electrical guy, but that was a wierd experience, with the same symptoms. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
plittle2005
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 350 Aft Cabin

Postby plittle2005 » February 22nd, 2024, 3:52 pm

"amp meter was drawing twice as much...." GUYS!! THAT EXTRA CURRENT IS GOING SOMEWHERE!! If the GFI does not trip, it means that the appliance is passing 2X amps through it. This is HEATING!

Of course the breaker trips......it is handling much more current than normal. How close to rated is it?

This is a very dangerous situation and needs a qualified marine electrician called in before you turn anything back on.

Morningstar4207
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Morningstar4207 » February 22nd, 2024, 8:58 pm

Thanks so much for your help, everyone. Fortunately, it turns out it was a new cord we needed after all. It's an older pedestal and the connection point melted there.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 22nd, 2024, 9:29 pm

Glad you resolved the issue.

Not surprised the cord was the issue as there are so many old dilapidated cords on countless boats at every marina I have visited. Sometimes it is not obvious but usual telltale signs are a bit of black marks around the receptacle prongs or inlet side. Once this occurs you are on borrowed time and should change out ASAP.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 23rd, 2024, 6:48 pm

Ya no surprise it was the cord. Poor connection, voltage drop, increase in current. You're lucky the breaker was tripping, sometimes the outlet on the pedestal or the boat inlet burns up without tripping anything. You should check the inlets on the boat to be safe. If you see any discoloration around the contacts, replace the inlet.

Curious, was this the accessories main that was tripping or the main for the air conditioners? Do you have 30 or 50 amp services?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 23rd, 2024, 7:54 pm

Morningstar4207 wrote:Thanks so much for your help, everyone. Fortunately, it turns out it was a new cord we needed after all. It's an older pedestal and the connection point melted there.

I would still be sure to check the boat side after the pedestal etc is repaired properly to be sure there was not more going on leading to that. Just to be safe..... :down:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Morningstar4207
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Morningstar4207 » February 23rd, 2024, 9:37 pm

Viper, We have 50 amp. It was the accessories main. We don't use our marine acs, we put a window unit. :-D

Return to “Electrical”