Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

84 3607 Aft Caabin - no DC ?

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
JeffandErin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

84 3607 Aft Caabin - no DC ?

Postby JeffandErin » February 28th, 2024, 11:34 am

I went out to my boat today to replace the stern nav light. Heated indoor storage facility. I connected up shore power to a handy outlet so I could use the lights and then began the replacement. New light wired, I tested it out. Nothing. No light when activating from either the upper or lower helm station. I thought that odd as this is a brand new light. So, I checked both my port and starboard nav lights. Nothing there either. Now I really confused.

I went to the circuit breaker panel and reset both of the Main DC CBs. Then I ensured that all of my DC CBs were on. I tested many other DC devices (salon lights, helm panel lights, engine room blower, windlass, etc). Nothing. Nothing that is DC appears to be working.

The only except are the 2 x voltmeters, one at each helm station. Both function and both report that I have 14 volts our of each battery. Batteries were new in 2022

It "acts" like there is a master DC circuit breaker that is tripped.

Any ideas?

Canada
Merkinbrumsky
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver Voyager

Re: 84 3607 Aft Caabin - no DC ?

Postby Merkinbrumsky » February 28th, 2024, 11:54 am

Did you check your battery switch? I’d assume it was switched off for layup.

Canada
Merkinbrumsky
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver Voyager

Postby Merkinbrumsky » February 28th, 2024, 11:55 am

Looks like this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author United States of America
JeffandErin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

Postby JeffandErin » February 28th, 2024, 11:59 am

Wow! Silly me. I never even thought about that. I did not - but I bet the marina did when they hauled it out. I will check when I go back. thanks for the reply

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 28th, 2024, 3:30 pm

That main switch is under the bottom step in the salon (the steps that go up to the aft deck). The voltmeters and the auto bilge pump circuits are fed BEFORE this switch, so as long as that battery is good (usually the #1 battery) then the voltmeters and auto bilge circuits will have power. This is also a reason to DISCONNECT the batteries while in storage, because some auto bilge pumps will still draw some minor current and eventually will kill that battery.

It's good to plug in to shore power while you go out and check on or work on the boat in storage, so that the charger will "top off" the batteries while you're working. You don't really NEED to plug in though to have 12VDC power.

Return to “Electrical”