Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Battery configuration

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Battery configuration

Postby Viper » April 15th, 2016, 9:47 pm

feeez wrote:Source of the post One further note on the case ground. The instructions also state that this must also be connected to the boat's bonding system. I assume this one of those plates affixed to the hull in various locations.

Thanks
Fraser

They refer to connecting to buses for the purpose of minimizing wire connections at the batteries. The only wires that should be hooked up to batteries are main battery cables to feed buses, branch circuits, engines, etc. and in the case of this charger, a temp probe.

The chassis ground is often connected to the engine block simply for convenience but a bonding system bus bar is fine too if easier to get at as the two are electrically connected. You just need to ensure the wire size is as stated in the installation manual.

The chassis ground is a more recent development since the original install. It is there in case there is a DC to chassis fault. It's done this way because of the high DC currents involved which an AC ground can't handle safely enough to protect the circuit. If you don't wire the chassis, your breaker won't trip in a DC to chassis fault. If there is an AC to chassis fault, the AC ground wire will easily handle the fault.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » April 16th, 2016, 7:44 am

Thanks for the feedback guys.

We are off to the boat today to start to bring her out of hibernation..... Happy Days!!!

Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » April 30th, 2016, 5:15 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post
feeez wrote:Source of the post One further note on the case ground. The instructions also state that this must also be connected to the boat's bonding system. I assume this one of those plates affixed to the hull in various locations.

Thanks
Fraser

They refer to connecting to buses for the purpose of minimizing wire connections at the batteries. The only wires that should be hooked up to batteries are main battery cables to feed buses, branch circuits, engines, etc. and in the case of this charger, a temp probe.

The chassis ground is often connected to the engine block simply for convenience but a bonding system bus bar is fine too if easier to get at as the two are electrically connected. You just need to ensure the wire size is as stated in the installation manual.

The chassis ground is a more recent development since the original install. It is there in case there is a DC to chassis fault. It's done this way because of the high DC currents involved which an AC ground can't handle safely enough to protect the circuit. If you don't wire the chassis, your breaker won't trip in a DC to chassis fault. If there is an AC to chassis fault, the AC ground wire will easily handle the fault.

I did a successful install of the battery charger yesterday. I was quite impressed with how "plug and play" the Promariner charger was to install. The only adjustment I had to make was the battery type and the charger brought all three battery banks to maintenance mode in just a few hours.

Next project for me in the battery world is to tackle all of the negative wiring around my batteries and introduce a buss to hopefully simplify it. Right now there are black wires running all over the place. :banghead:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 30th, 2016, 10:37 am

Sweet, what battery type are you using Fraser? All banks hooked up to the charger are the same battery type correct?

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » April 30th, 2016, 12:59 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Sweet, what battery type are you using Fraser? All banks hooked up to the charger are the same battery type correct?

If you mean they are all flooded.... yes.

Bank 1 is a 12V 31 series
Bank 2 (House) is 4 X 6V connect in a series / parallel configuration
Bank 3 (Generator Starting) 12V 31 series.

There are many more improvements I want make to my battery setup. Dedicated starting isolators etc. etc. We get there as my knowledge increases.

Fraser

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 30th, 2016, 4:36 pm

The reason I asked is because the factory default setting on their chargers is flooded but you said you had to adjust the setting. Was it not already set to flooded out of the box?

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » April 30th, 2016, 4:44 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post The reason I asked is because the factory default setting on their chargers is flooded but you said you had to adjust the setting. Was it not already set to flooded out of the box?

It defaulted to "sealed" out of the box.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 30th, 2016, 8:58 pm

That's a first for me, and I've done dozens of installs of those. Must have been their night shift crew ;-)

Did you get the remote display?

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » April 30th, 2016, 9:55 pm

Viper wrote:That's a first for me, and I've done dozens of installs of those. Must have been their night shift crew ;-)

No.... but I am sure I will

It will mount quite nicely beside my energy monitor on the back wall of the salon :-D

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » April 9th, 2017, 9:58 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post That's a first for me, and I've done dozens of installs of those. Must have been their night shift crew ;-)

I have been considering adding the promariner 63100 remote to my 1250P charger this year. I have been hunting around for some detailed information as to what all the functions it performs to see if it is worth installing.... no luck Anyone have this already? I have a Victron monitor hooked up to my house bank already. Does this unit give me more or is it just duplication?

Cheers
Fraser

Return to “Electrical”