Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Underwater lights opinions

Topic author United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Underwater lights opinions

Postby Cooler » December 13th, 2018, 6:43 pm

Hello Carver World. Hope y'all can chime in and tell me if I am headed in the wrong direction. Was thinking of installing underwater lights designed to fit in the drain plug hole. Got some info from a mechanic friend of mine that the output was very cone shaped and not what most people appreciated. He recently installed 2 sets of lights that were very economically priced. The owner of the boat is extremely happy. The lights are TH Marine Xenon Extreme. Not very big, 3 1/2" X 1 1/2", priced under $40 each. I am very close to installing a pair, with a bracket to attach to each trim tab. Anybody out there with a set up like this, that can provide additional info/opinion? It seems I can get this install done at less than $200 all in. Seems way too cheap. I only want light at my stern while in port, just for the cool effect, single color. Don't care about night time light up of wake, as I rarely cruise at night. Marinas here are very clean, clear water. Do these lights perform better in clear water, or brackish water so there is reflection? The owner referenced above is in water with a lot of algae. He claims he is getting light extending 10 feet behind his boat. He really appreciates the fact that they are lighting up fish as he gets them close to landed, but still a few feet under water. Much easier to use net in the dark. Thoughts and opinions on lights? :help:
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Underwater lights opinions

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » December 14th, 2018, 3:46 am

I just put 4 Sea Blaze lights on my 530. I'm really happy with them, super easy to install. Just drill a hole for the wire and then they flush mount. They have a great spread so I actually only needed 2 of them. I picked them up at West Marine. This may not be what you're looking for but thought I'd share.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Alaska 530 Voyager on December 14th, 2018, 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » December 14th, 2018, 3:57 am

They light up for 50 plus feet behind me and well past each side of the boat. We have slightly silty water here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » December 14th, 2018, 1:49 pm

Yes sir, that does look nice. Was hoping to avoid drilling below waterline. Just something about that freaks me out. Thanks for the response & pics! Is the bottom pic with just 2 or all 4 lit up?

Does anybody out there have a set up as described in original post?
Cooler By The Lake

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » December 14th, 2018, 4:04 pm

Here's a pic of all four right after installation. I agree with you about drilling holes. I was hesitant at first but felt very good about them after I had installed them.

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » December 14th, 2018, 5:29 pm

Sorry, I just realized what you were asking. Both of the above pictures are with all four lit up in the water.

Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » December 15th, 2018, 5:48 pm

Way cool. I like it. I know to expect less from the TH Marine lights, but I'm spending about a hundred bucks total. If they do not last, or give me trouble, I will switch over to your system. A friend of mine is making the brackets for trim tab mount, so I will have him make accommodation if I need to change to those Sea Blaze. Thanks for the input. Cooler
Cooler By The Lake

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » December 15th, 2018, 7:15 pm

You bet! Lok forward to a report after you finish.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » December 16th, 2018, 1:12 am

Underwater lights are really neat. Some boat builders are now offering them as options. I've thought about it on my boat but I think I do not want to drill any more holes in the hull. You never know though, I could change my mind.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » December 16th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Hey Rick, unless I get any negative opinion from disappointed boaters using a similar set up, I am going to put this system together in a few weeks. The thing I like about this set up, is there is no need to drill any more holes. I have a transom mount transducer for my Garmin, so I can feed the wire through the same above water hole that the transducer wire goes through. Do you have any existing holes now? I have a similar swim platform set up as you. Platform sticks out 33' from transom, 24" from the back of my trim tabs. So I should get a good 8 to 10 ft of bright light, past the platform. I will be using the same bolts that attach the Bennett trim tab actuator to the planing tabs with this bracket. The guy cutting the brackets will be using laser cut stainless steel. He is cutting extra brackets.
Cooler By The Lake

Return to “The Project Center”