Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SeaDek on my 466 swim patform

ImageIf you have a project idea or a completed one you would like to show off (major or minor), share it with the rest of us!

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

Re: SeaDek on my 466 swim patform

Postby RGrew176 » July 28th, 2020, 8:00 am

Nice looking addition.
Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

United States of America
Blu789
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 355 Aft Cabin 1998

Postby Blu789 » July 31st, 2020, 8:13 pm

I am wanting to get this done on my swim platform, stairs, and aft cockpit. $2400 seems a little high for that. Does anyone know if there are reasonable places in Cincy OH to have this done?

Canada
vineyardgray
First Mate
First Mate

Postby vineyardgray » August 2nd, 2020, 12:14 pm

Looks very well done.

I always wonder about the existing anti skid - do they sand it down or grind it before applying the foam?
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

United States of America
dkoons16
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby dkoons16 » August 4th, 2020, 9:15 am

Looks great!!!!

United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » August 4th, 2020, 10:08 am

Looks Awesome! thanks for posting

United States of America
ColRon
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » August 4th, 2020, 6:10 pm

vineyardgray wrote:Source of the post Looks very well done.

I always wonder about the existing anti skid - do they sand it down or grind it before applying the foam?

When I had Seadek installed on my swim platform, they just cleaned it with some strong cleaner to remove any wax and any other contaminates that might prevent a good bond to the surface.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 4th, 2020, 7:13 pm

I have a question....what happens when it rains, does that sea deck soak up water or does the water sit on the surface then dry quickly.
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

Safe travels with light winds and calm seas.....

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
1990 Proline 17CC
2018 Regal 1900ESX

Postby tomschauer » August 4th, 2020, 10:09 pm

That looks great!
Does anyone who has had the sea deck for a few years have pics of how well it holds its good looks?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807

Postby Viper » August 5th, 2020, 7:42 am

I posted on a thread a couple of years ago about the expected condition after a few years of wear and tear. I have regular access to a boat that had it professionally installed back then. At that time, I read as much as I could and noted the condition of the product on a lot of small boats that came with it from factory. The consensus back then was that there was about a seven year life expectancy before its condition started getting to a point where it would be evident that replacement would be required within the following couple of years.

I can tell you from what I've seen so far that the adhesive eventually starts to fail causing the product to separate. The edges start lifting first, and over time, small chunks of the edges start chipping/tearing off resulting in very uneven lines. Considering the overall install is made up of several sections/blocks that make a grid, there are a lot of edges that really stand out with this wear. It should be noted that there was an installation advantage on the vessel I have regular access to in that there was no non-skid as it had been removed for a swim platform core repair. The flat surface should have been the adhesive's best shot of keeping the product in place but that's not the case. When non-skid is present, it usually doesn't get removed and contributes to the product lifting prematurely.

I also mentioned that the non-skid keeps the product lifted above the true surface and eventually allows water ingress around the edges. This water will migrate throughout the mating surface and stay there for a long time. This may be what eventually causes the adhesive to fail in the middle sections over time. With water under the product, one has to wonder if frost also contributes to lifting the product. Some installers will apply caulking around all edges to help keep it water tight however the caulked seem usually fails as the foam eventually starts shrinking slightly over time and separating from the caulking.

This particular boat gets a lot of use with adults and kids though no pets are involved on this one. I've heard of warnings if you have dogs on board regularly, especially if they have long nails as that will tear up the foam. The condition of the main body of the product still looks great and the colour has maintained its original look after all this time. This particular application is a teak coloured plank look and from a distance looks awesome but the wear around the edges of every panel is very evident as you get closer.

There's other pros and cons but overall, it's a good product. It doesn't seem to retain water within the foam itself which is important, and it keeps it's colour for a long time. I'm due to replace my carpet on the aft deck and around the helm but can't decide whether to replace with carpet again or install a permanent covering such as Seadek. Will have to continue pondering that over a few more beers :beergood:

Return to “The Project Center”