Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Updated Solar Array

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Updated Solar Array

Postby Midnightsun » July 1st, 2022, 11:00 am

Installed a new solar array this morning. :-D old one consisted of 2, 150w panels which did work well however last end of season I had some weird readings on the SOC meter showing negative input which made no sense at all. Found out one of those panels went bad. Had no choice but to get new ones but this time around I decided to go with 3, 175w units. Have not plugged anything in yet as I am waiting for the Sikaflex 291 under the standoffs to dry so not until tomorrow morning before making the final connections and test the system.

The biggest drawback of flexible panels is they have no airspace underneath and therefor tend to get too hot. People glue them down which is not at all a good choice. After scratching my head for a solution, I simply stuck 5 strips of closed cell foam underneath each panel which allows water to flow under and provides some much needed airspace/ventilation.

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Re: Updated Solar Array

Postby Helmsman » July 2nd, 2022, 9:58 pm

At some point when you sell that boat, somebody is going to get a gem. I really appreciate how you, Viper and so many others take the time to teach others. Learned so much from you guys with my first “big boat”!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 3rd, 2022, 10:00 am

Are the old panels recyclable, do the suppliers of the new panels take the old back to recycle?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » July 3rd, 2022, 10:59 am

Nice job!

Not sure I understand the solution to overheating. I see the metal mounting plates, did you put flexible strips under the panels to keep them at some distance from the roof?
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 3rd, 2022, 11:23 am

Phrancus wrote:Source of the post Nice job!

Not sure I understand the solution to overheating. I see the metal mounting plates, did you put flexible strips under the panels to keep them at some distance from the roof?

Correct. Five strips under each panel which run from fore to aft. As can be seen on the last picture, there is a good slope to the hardtop and this will allow the water to run under the panel as intended by the design of the hard top. The foam strips I used give about 3/8" clearance under the panels. The panels are secured to the standoffs (mounting plates) with nyloc nuts so I only tightened them down so the 3/8" gap remains on all the corners also.

I did some small test however being the banks are rather full and we did not travel far I did not see more then 90v at around 17a @ 14V. I am sure I can easily get twice the amps out of the panels once the battery/s get lower and will accept more charge. Good news is everything works as intended.

My lifepo4 bank is not installed yet by the way, hopefully this week though. :down:
Last edited by Midnightsun on July 4th, 2022, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » July 4th, 2022, 5:52 am

Nice work Hans!!!!!!!!!!!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 4th, 2022, 7:06 am

The flexible units work good for your application because of the curved surface you have to deal with. Hans, how about posting links to the hardware for others considering a similar installation.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 4th, 2022, 8:25 am

I normally do however the standoffs are custom made by myself from stainless, they look grey in color because I bead blasted them.

Panel choice is really dependant on what you have for available real estate. I chose mine based on what size was available to best suit my hard top. There are so many choices out there however I suggest you stick with a well known brand such as Renogy or Sunpower. I am sure there are several brands out there as good however these are the brands most common out there.

MPPT controller, highly suggest you go with Victron Energy however once more, tons to choose from. Go bigger in case you want to add a panel or 2 down the road. Great products and if you stick with this brand everyone talks to each other. No need to install monitors as they are bluetooth and work anywhere on the boat. Personally I went with the 100/50. https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-cha ... -30-100-50

You may want to look into some tools and fittings for solar wire connections. This kit is spendy but does it all.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07BFT3B4V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MC4 connectors. https://www.amazon.ca/Connector-Connectors-Female-Double-Waterproof/dp/B09NYDDYFX/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B09NYDDYFX&psc=1

I brought the main solar wires down from the panels to my 12v electrical panel where they are connected to a 50a breaker and obviously charge the house battery through the panel connection. Easy to shut down the system by just flipping the breaker.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 4th, 2022, 8:31 pm