Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Mariner flooring project

Topic author Canada
Agriman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner Twin 454 Crusaders

Mariner flooring project

Postby Agriman » December 23rd, 2014, 4:22 pm

I'm looking to replace the carpet in our 1998 350 Mariner with some type of wood flooring in the salon area. This area has 3 floor hatches to deal with. Has anyone done this with good success? I would love to see some pictures and get some ideas.

Thanks

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Re: Mariner flooring project

Postby Lyndon670 » December 23rd, 2014, 4:52 pm

So, I did this with my Bayliner 3450 Avanti about 10 years ago and had the same issue. I came up with a work around that worked perfectly, was super easy to install - but was a pain in the ass to set up. I'll explain.

First, I went to the local dollar store and bought a pile of white 3x4 sheets of cheap bristol board (construction or project paper). I then laid it out all over my existing floor, trimmed the edges and used duct tape to join the pieces together. I removed the hatches in the floor and used an exacto knife to cut the holes into the bristol board where the hatches were. I used the exacto knife to cut around the bulkeads and built in furniture.

When I was done, I had an exact template of my floor. I then took this template home and stapled this template to 4x8 sheets of thin plywood and cut the plywood as per the template. I cut and glued laminate flooring ontop of the plywood, leaving the openings for the hatches clear. The I also cut a piece(s) of plywood to fit the hatches and cut and glued the laminate to the pieces of plywood on the hatches.

When finished, I was able to put the run of plywood/laminate flooring into the back of my truck, supported it with 2x4s and transported it to my boat. With the help of a buddy, I turned the floor template on its side and carried it into the cabin. I flipped it over and onto the floor and it was an instant perfect fit. The hatches were then dropped down into the holes. I screwed the floor down and was done. The beauty of doing it this way was that i could do all of the construction at home an dthe actual install at the boat was under 20 minutes.

Hope this helps!
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Topic author Canada
Agriman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner Twin 454 Crusaders

Re: Mariner flooring project

Postby Agriman » December 24th, 2014, 3:26 pm

Thanks Lyndon, I installed the laminate on the floor and cut out the hatches but I don't like the look of the hatches without some kind of borders around them. I did frame them but they make for good toe stubbers if not careful.
Thanks, Agriman

Return to “The Project Center”