Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fix Floor Access Panels That Flex Underfoot.

Topic author
After Taxes
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 'After Taxes'
2004 Carver Mariner 360
Lake Simcoe & Georgian Bay,
Ontario, Canada

Fix Floor Access Panels That Flex Underfoot.

Postby After Taxes » June 8th, 2015, 8:38 pm

Throughout your salon, you have floor access panels. After years of walking on them, some of the panels may feel spongy at the edges. If the panels and floor are in otherwise good condition, it might just be the panel supports that are weakening. The factory used small bolts on my panel support strips, but I felt they were spaced too far apart to maintain full support without flexing under foot. This is an easy fix, with a screw gun and some wood screws

The panel supports on my boat are wood strips that are bolted to the plywood subfloor. The panel supports hold the access panel. They just need a little more reinforcement.

If you have this issue, use a screw gun and some wood screws. I used Number 10, 1-1/2 inch screws. Screw up from underneath. See photos. It's a little bit difficult holding the screw gun and screw upside down, but it's achievable. You may not be able to reach around the entire panel opening, but any screws you can attach will greatly improve the floor.

I tackled this job today on sections of my floor panel, that I felt were flexing too much. Now the floor panels feel rock solid underfoot. Or just like new. Actually, better than new. No movement at all, which is what I prefer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 Carver Mariner 360
MerCruiser MX 6.2
Lake Simcoe, Ontario

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Fix Floor Access Panels That Flex Underfoot.

Postby waybomb » June 9th, 2015, 12:47 pm

I would suggest using stainless or monel screws, instead of galvanized.

I did a similar job on some of the access panels on our 3697. I also added a cross piece screwed in from the top in the middle. Easily removable for access if needed.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Return to “The Project Center”