Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Small boat big big project!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Small boat big big project!

Postby Viper » February 13th, 2017, 10:22 pm

Typically, the engine's bell housing mounts on the inner transom plate. The sterndrive's input shaft inserts into the coupler on the back of the engine. The back of the input shaft at the u-joint yoke is supported by the gimbal bearing in the transom assembly. There are applications where the engine is mounted further forward with a long driveshaft to the transom assembly.

The purpose of the alignment tool is to get the engine's crankshaft/coupler and gimbal bearing in line. Grease is applied to the end of the alignment tool that gets inserted through the gimbal bearing into the coupler. When the tool is pulled out, the pattern of grease left on the tool indicates which way the engine must be moved to achieve alignment. This must not be forced. In a proper alignment, the tool will slide in and out of the coupler easily.

United States of America
edcourter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 86 2667

Postby edcourter » February 18th, 2017, 7:09 pm

Thanks, I found a pix that shows the gimble bearing location, makes sense now as there is no hard alignment at the bell housing like a car. Mine is an Alpha 1st gen but similar at the bell to a 2nd gen.

Are you taking the Oswego route? I think it is also the 200 year celebration of the Erie. I'm trying to head East out of Fairport (Rochester) 3rd wk of June after about 5 days of preparation and test launch from Macedonia Landing.

Topic author United States of America
hardchines
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1980 Carver
Santa Cruz

Postby hardchines » February 18th, 2017, 11:00 pm

My tentative plan is to tow the boat into Canada and over to the beginning of the Trent Severn waterway and launch there, around mid August, make the round trip to Georgia Bay and then make the decision whether to do some more canal cruising. Having just completed the Eire canal I would hate to do it again just to get to Canada, its a long trip for me, this is one of the true benefits of having a trailer boat and a good tow vehicle. Sad part is my 454 Suburban gets the same gas mileage as the boat when towing, and not much better when not towing! 8 mpg towing, 10 when not, city or highway virtually no difference :cry: The Erie seasonal lock pass is 50 dollars under 26 feet, you are 25' 10 " :-D :-D :-D ,

hardchines
First Mate
First Mate
Santa Cruz

Postby hardchines » June 1st, 2017, 7:45 pm

Yes Canada's Trent Severn water way is still on my to do list for this year, next year I hope to go the ICW to Florida starting from my home in the Mid Hudson Valley 60 miles north of NYC, winter store boat at a marina on the Okeechobee water way. Restart trip the following year and do the Bahamas and may run back up the ditch or re store boat in Fl for another year. All options are on the table! :captain2:

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 1st, 2017, 11:55 pm

Great thread!! Glad you included a lot of pictures.

Before you got to the part about the generator, I was thinking you were going to bolt up a high voltage A.C. alternator right up to the diesel and use that for A.C. power. You could also bolt up a high-output DC alternator and run a larger inverter for everything but the air conditioning.

hardchines
First Mate
First Mate
Santa Cruz

Postby hardchines » June 2nd, 2017, 12:09 am

km1125 if I did not get a good generator I would have considered a AC alternator or other options such as a large inverter ,I have a large inverter at home but a good gen. is a nice way to go, especially when its hot and humid, down south hot days and green flies can make you retreat to the cabin, if the AC is on I am happy, , it also makes for great comfortable sleeping and the hum helps me sleep, and 5 hours on a gallon of diesel is affordable even for me, Canada gets 10 bucks a night for power at a lock if its available at all, so I may use it this year on the Trent if needed, could be hot in August, otherwise I run it for the stove and coffee maker and not much else!

Ireland
Dohcdelsol93
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver santa Cruz 25 or 26 ft...someone tell me
Sanjuan 26
Y flyer 18

Postby Dohcdelsol93 » November 14th, 2017, 8:36 am

edit:
how did you run the switches for the shifter (cut off) or does the diesel idle lope slow enough to shift without grinding/damaging the alpha unit between gears.

I would also like to know more about that exhaust

I'm restoring a 1978 carver and i'm a bit of a diesel nut (done several land cruiser diesel conversions) and would love to have another MPG friendly boat for cruising the keys and fishing the protected waters along the coast of SC.

How does it do in currents? I'm a lake sailor and currents are something I've never had to deal with so I have no experience with them.

I'd love to find a way to calculate how to maybe cruise a little bit more, maybe 10-15 mph, maybe safer when fighting a current? Play with prop size? I would think that the alpha 1 could handle diesels in the sub 125 hp range. The higher reving, ligter, and shorter stroke the better. The torque vibrations (rather than pure torque output) are what I would think would kill an outdrive quicker than anything else. The torque pulse can do weird things to bearings and soft metal parts.

hardchines
First Mate
First Mate
Santa Cruz

Postby hardchines » November 27th, 2017, 9:01 pm

I used the standard shift switch plate and cables, the switch is wired to a circuit I designed and built, this circuit shuts off the diesel injection pump selonoide for a moment just like the gas engines are shut off by ignition interruption. Slightly complex circuit but if you get that far I will be happy to give you a diagram and parts list. torque pulse should not be a issue as you will need a coupling between the engine and outdrive, the coupler will absorb the pulse!

cruise speed at 10 mph is out of the question, too slow to plane just plowing water!! 13-and up with the boat lite would be more like it, 1800 rpm gives me 6.1 mph little wake, 2600 rpm gives me 8 mph and a huge wake!

boats do not see currents, they do not know the water is moving past them :-D

United States of America
edcourter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 86 2667

Postby edcourter » January 1st, 2018, 12:48 pm

Hi, How did you connect the second black water tank to the head? Is your stern thruster a trolling motor?... what size and does it work well. What's the verdict on the new rudders? Ed, 86 2667 second year, doing some winter upgrades for 2018 Rideau.

hardchines
First Mate
First Mate
Santa Cruz

Postby hardchines » January 26th, 2018, 6:56 pm

hey Ed maserator pump sucks out of primary 10 gal tank to Y valve, now to overboard or to second 34 gallon tank, normal dockside pump out station to empty big tank. Yes stern thruster s a trolling motor 34lb thrust, fine for gentle moves but not big enough for real stern thruster work, may increase to 70 lb thrust! large rudder fins worked well for locking control but made helm load very heavy, I removed them as I am done with locks for a while, may reinstall if locking trip again! want to design long chine keels for better tracking, will post when I figure it out. Best of luck! :usa:

Return to “The Project Center”