Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Small boat big big project!

Topic author United States of America
hardchines
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1980 Carver
Santa Cruz

Re: Small boat big big project!

Postby hardchines » August 14th, 2015, 9:03 pm

I spent allot of time in the cabin working on wiring and duct work for the heat and AC. I had to install a shore /generator switch as well as some power relays for safe isolation of a power inverter, I also installed a new (used) larger power distribution center. I installed a 9000 BTU AC unit under one side of the Cabinet under the counter top, I like my AC ducted so I was able to snake duct hose through the starboard bulkhead with lots of wire and wire loom tubes that end behind the lower helm and the other end in the engine room, this makes snaking wires from end to end real easy. I was able to build the actual lever controls into the bulkhead also giving me more room for my very comfortable helm/TV seat. Under the counter next to the sink I mounted a large heat exchanger for cabin heat provided by the engine, this is ducted under and around the helm seat, this should keep the cabin warm and cozy in the north country when fall comes in, the the bulkhead air outlets for the AC will also provide heat from the resistor heaters built into the AC unit. For instant additional heat I can always plug in a cube heater as I have plenty of power with the 3.5KW generator.

I also worked on installing a new helm station with all new gauges and a large Raytheon chart display (same display on upper bridge hope I can make them work! The displays are not color but they are 10 inch, so I can see them.SEE NOTE

NOTE.....I ended up not using any older B and W GPS equip, all new Garmin color units large and small.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hardchines on June 13th, 2019, 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

hardchines
First Mate
First Mate
Santa Cruz

Postby hardchines » December 23rd, 2015, 7:31 pm

Updates coming with photos. I have worked on my yacht during the summer but at a much slower pace as it has been a busy year. I decided that all electrical and mechanical work should be put on hold so I could do cosmetic updates to make me feel better about my project, lets face it after almost a year of work she still looks the same as the day I brought her home. I did a engine test run, she is quite and smoke free with no blow by apparent, the generator was also run and seems to run fine, all good news so far, please feel free to comment as I feel like no one is reading any of this. thx :captain2:

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » December 23rd, 2015, 8:53 pm

Wow, you certainly have been hard at work. Looking forward to seeing the final project!
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » December 24th, 2015, 10:09 am

I'm a little surprised on the location for your AC. My Admiral would never let me repurpose such a prime storage location. ;-)
..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

hardchines
First Mate
First Mate
Santa Cruz

Postby hardchines » December 25th, 2015, 9:55 pm

well Seadragon my War department has no use for the boat, so I can do what I want, and its the only place for the AC unit to fit and give my space to run the duct work. My cruises are all Solo at this point, Lyndon I will post some pics soon, need about 10 days to finish main cabin, redoing teak trim and covering most Famica wall covering with 1/4 sawn teak plywood and all doors and draws will be teak. Merry Christmas to all. :usa:

1Hatterasman
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: No boat right now.

Postby 1Hatterasman » January 1st, 2016, 10:09 pm

I envy you and your project. It's work but what I call fun work. I had a 1988 Carver 28' voyager. It didn't need as much work but I did some things with it. Good luck.

hardchines
First Mate
First Mate
Santa Cruz

Postby hardchines » January 5th, 2016, 5:59 pm

Thank you Hatterasman, to be fair 90 percent of what I am doing is lets say elective surgery, I just want it to be, the way I want it to be! I really have to get my ass in gear so I can launch in the spring for some testing, if test go well I will work to finish up this project by end of august, then I can leave on my first trip by the end of the summer! :usa:

RegalBeagle
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 320 Voyager

Postby RegalBeagle » March 9th, 2016, 1:51 pm

Fantastic thread, Hardchines! Keep up the good work and keep updating the thread, I am loving the details and pictures!

I had a 1981 Carver Moterey 26 which used the same hull, but a different layout. It was a great boat. a friend of mine has a 26' Santa Fe, same as yours.

hardchines
First Mate
First Mate
Santa Cruz

Postby hardchines » March 21st, 2016, 6:06 pm

pics
I hope some pics upload
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hardchines
First Mate
First Mate
Santa Cruz

Postby hardchines » March 21st, 2016, 6:21 pm

posting pics will comment later.

Return to “The Project Center”