Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Replacing Nav Lights & Deck Lights with LED's

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Re: Replacing Nav Lights & Deck Lights with LED's

Postby cpoint » November 30th, 2016, 4:03 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Very nice CP :down:

Wait till you see completed work in about 2-3 months :) As part of all the changes I have my eye on the carpeting, replacing with luxury vinyl plank (yeah I know luxury and vinyl does not go together), but research shows, would be the least warping, moisture issues. And they do make them look pretty nice these days. Because my carpeting just not looking good even after 2 attempted steam cleaning and edges are coming apart. Anyway after the boat show, I realize I like the non-carpeted flooring. I know it's not fun thing to do, but I am capable of doing these things, engines I am not :) So part of winter project will be flooring. I will be gluing them down. I am going to reduce some of the hatches in main cabin also. The star board and port side each have 2 hatches. I will be turning each into a single hatch. Will make it easier to floor as well. I know it will be bit heavier, but those 4 hatches are only used to access engines. I believe existing carpet is glued down, so thats not going to be fun taking off... any way stand by for pictures after completion.

Topic author United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » November 30th, 2016, 9:36 pm

Sounds like a great project! Don't forget the pictures. Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » November 30th, 2016, 9:37 pm

Let us know how you trim the edges of the hatches. Other than removing the glued down carpet, I would think that will be your challenge!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 30th, 2016, 10:20 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Let us know how you trim the edges of the hatches. Other than removing the glued down carpet, I would think that will be your challenge!

+1
If the carpet wraps around the edges of the hatches, you'll likely have to build up those edges as there will be a large gap once the carpet is removed. This is to accommodate the thickness of the carpet so it will now be too small.

If the carpet is glued down, you'll need to remove all the glue high spots or it'll be noticeable once the floor is laid unless the flooring product is thick enough that it will float over the high/low spots rather than conform to them. The thinner the product, the more noticeable these spots will be. There have been cases where I had to install very thin product and the glue was so bad to remove that it was easier for me to lay down a sub floor. This smoothed the surface out perfectly.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Postby cpoint » November 30th, 2016, 11:00 pm

It will be thicker planks, I know it will not be fun, but I have tools that will help level those spots first. Yes on the edges, I was thinking of putting same material that's on the bilge by the kitchen, but it will be too many in main cabin, so thats where re-making the hatches over the engines will come in handy, I will be merging 2 hatches on top of each engine into one, at same time I will cut the new bigger hatch more precise to cover the hole as tight as possible. Since the planks will be cut via knife, they will fit perfect. Granted precision will be time consuming and tricky :) If success it will look great though.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » December 1st, 2016, 4:50 am

Looking good.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club