Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Please advise on repair HELP

Topic author Italy
Bankerbiz87
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1982 Carver Mariner twin 220 engines 28ft

Please advise on repair HELP

Postby Bankerbiz87 » May 25th, 2016, 7:49 pm

Unable to get a good boat mechanic in our area we are going to attempt replace the packing in stuffing box we have water coming on the star board side. How many packing swill we need and where can we purchase parts for our 1982 Carver Mariner 28ft. Any information will be appreciated! Thank you !

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Re: Please advise on repair HELP

Postby Lyndon670 » May 25th, 2016, 8:29 pm

Did you attempt to tighten your existing packing? You are going to need to know the size of your packing, but any good marina parts department should have it in stock. It is suppose to leak water to keep the shaft lubricated....how much is it leaking?
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

My Jurisdiction
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1981 3007 aft cabin

Postby My Jurisdiction » May 25th, 2016, 10:08 pm

Any marine store carry the packing. It is 1/25 for my boat. It only takes 3 inches of the packing. I have a 3007 aft cabin 82'. I have twin 305 220 crusaders. The packing was .99 a foot. Be careful loosing the brass nut. And if the Nutt won't retread you will have to the shaft from the trans. I had to have my engines realigned this past winter. I hope this helps My Jurisdiction.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 26th, 2016, 7:37 am

Unless it's been done in the past and chances are you won't know, I'd start a new reference point and remove all the existing packing and replace with new. Make yourself a thin sturdy pick that's hooked on the end by no more than 90 deg for pulling the old packing out.

Cut 3 strands for each side. I like cutting the ends at a 45 deg angle so they mate together when installed. Prepare all the strands before you get started by fitting to the shaft between the log and coupler, and cut for a snug fit without leaving a gap between the two ends.

When you have 3 cut for one side, undo the nut and start picking out the old packing. Ensure your bilge pumps are functional as you will get some water coming in during this process but it is completely manageable so no reason to panic. You can also tie a rag around the shaft at the log to slow the water a bit.

Install each section into the packing nut but stagger them so the ends aren't in the same spot. I stagger the joints at about 12, 4 and 8 o'clock. Install the packing nut hand tight, then tighten until you have a drip once every few minutes and stop. DON'T be tempted to tighten until it doesn't drip anymore. Take her out for a spin, have someone take the wheel while you take a look and ensure everything is okay. When you get back to shore, chances are she will be leaking more. Again, tighten only enough so that it leaks once every few minutes, this is normal. You must not overtighten or you will overheat the packing and log. Next time you go out, take a temp IR gun with you and shoot the log. It shouldn't be much higher under way than at rest. If it is, it's too tight.

I'd monitor now after the next few runs and repeat the tightening process if needed, then you should be good to go.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » May 26th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Well explained Viper!

There also is a new packing material available that is apparently all the rage - I'm not certain but it may be teflon based.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » May 27th, 2016, 6:18 am

I would try tightening the packing first. Now in our '86 Mariner 32 we had V drives. The starboard packing is left handed threads! Lyndon is correct, the newer packing material have Teflon in them and are better IMO. If you really need to replace the packing's, Viper has given you the best instructions you will get. You may have to take one of the old pieces of packing out to get the correct packing size for your application. If you have the original manuals, you should be able to look up the packing size. It's shame you can't find a good mechanic in your area, I'm fortunate to know a mechanic that has worked on Carvers for 30 years and knows Carvers inside and out and another mechanic that has worked on boats all his life and both are a wealth of knowledge. Good luck! Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 27th, 2016, 7:21 am

I should add, if you don't have a very sharp utility knife, don't bother trying to cut the packing, you'll just make a mess of the ends. If you can't get a good clean diagonal cut, make a straight cut. Better to have a good straight cut than a poor, frayed diagonal cut.

I think you have V-Drives so the task will be a real pain.

Topic author Italy
Bankerbiz87
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1982 Carver Mariner twin 220 engines 28ft

Postby Bankerbiz87 » June 4th, 2016, 3:33 pm

Do you know what size packing for 1982 Carver Mariner
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 4th, 2016, 7:32 pm

That looks like a buck algonquin type, I believe it is important that they be adjusted just so there is even pressure on each side of the gland.....I might try loosening it up and then tightening slowly and evenly, it may be that it is crooked and applying too much pressure on one side....sorry don't remember the packing size....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “The Project Center”