Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hard top or swim platform mounting for a wave runner

Topic author
Makin' Waves
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 356 Aft Cabin with twin Cummins Diesel engines. Garmin Navigation Suite with Autopilot.

Hard top or swim platform mounting for a wave runner

Postby Makin' Waves » August 17th, 2013, 4:45 pm

Has anyone ever mounted a Davit and wave runner to a carver hard top? How much weight can they hold? I have a sea doo that weighs about 700lbs full and I am looking for a place to mount it so I can take it with me. I own a 1999 Carver 356 Aft Cabin. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Sling on the back? Maybe? :down: :up:
Makin' Waves
Charleston, SC

United States of America
CYO Admin
CYO Administrator
CYO Administrator

Re: Hard top or swim platform mounting for a wave runner

Postby CYO Admin » August 18th, 2013, 9:24 am

I would think towing would be a better option. You can buy a towing bridle or make one yourself. I know several people how have done this with great success.

United States of America
Reelpriority
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 356 Aft Cabin
Miss Judy, Murrells Inlet, SC

Postby Reelpriority » August 18th, 2013, 11:57 pm

The Carver 356 aft deck hard top is not engineered to support any weight storage. There is a factory warning sticker located on the section of the aft deck top inside the bridge.
You can secure davits to the swim platform with backer plates. You will need to cut out access hatches adjacent to the areas where you would place the davits. The swim platform is hollow. The top section is a fiberglass balsa wood fiberglass sandwich. You can see inside the swim platform by removing the drawer and counter top in the aft cabin suite.
MISS JUDY
Murrells Inlet, SC

Topic author
Makin' Waves
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 356 Aft Cabin with twin Cummins Diesel engines. Garmin Navigation Suite with Autopilot.

Postby Makin' Waves » August 19th, 2013, 7:53 am

Thanks Reelpriority! I think I might have found a solution. There is a company out of Cocoa Florida that is called sealiftusa. They have a cradle version that mounts to the transom underneath the swim platform and is actuated by a hydraulic arm. The website has some great vidoes of the operation and best yet it stays out of the water so there is no additional drag. I sent away for a quote.

You seem to have the same boat and are not too far away. Did you buy from Hilton Head? That is where I got mine. It was from Harbourside Yacht sales. I love those folks...Great friends then and now!
Makin' Waves
Charleston, SC

United States of America
Reelpriority
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Reelpriority » August 19th, 2013, 2:48 pm

Makin' Waves. Yes. We have the same model Carver, except ours is gas Mercs. We did purchase through Craig and Jennifer at Harbourside. We are docked at Shelter Cove Marina. We have rebuilt or replaced most mechanical systems on the boat. Working with the Carver plant, we have been able to source new parts from many different suppliers around the country. Now getting offers from people who want to purchase the boat ( even Craig). He is looking for a diesel 356. Let me know if you have any other questions. I think I have crawled over every in h of this model boat.
MISS JUDY
Murrells Inlet, SC

Topic author
Makin' Waves
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Makin' Waves » August 20th, 2013, 5:34 am

I'd love to come down to take a look at your boat and share ideas. I get back from deployment in September any chance of us coming down? We'd love to see Craig and Jennifer again too.
Makin' Waves
Charleston, SC

United States of America
Reelpriority
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Reelpriority » August 20th, 2013, 12:19 pm

Sure! We will be there in September. Glad to share ideas and show what we have been doing with the boat. I am getting ready to remove the aft A/C unit and replace with a new MarineAire Vector Turbo system. Big difference in cooling with better blower and new refrigerant. Also, these units have a composite drain pan. No rust issues.
MISS JUDY
Murrells Inlet, SC

United States of America
Reelpriority
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Reelpriority » September 15th, 2013, 9:55 pm

Sorry we missed you on your vist to Hilton Head this past weekend. We saw you on F dock at Shelter Cove and caught you running out on Calibogue Sound going to the fuel dock at Hilton Head Harbor Marina. (We were fishing in a 24' Sea Hunt Center Console when you drove past Sunday afternoon). Let us know the next time you come back to HHI.
MISS JUDY
Murrells Inlet, SC

Topic author
Makin' Waves
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Makin' Waves » September 16th, 2013, 6:36 pm

I know I looked over but it looked like no one was there. We will definitely be back though.

Here is a stumper for you....

Have you ever had little pit marks that look like rust marks on your swim platform? I cleaned out the dock box an something in there pitted/stained the swim platform. It is all over. I tried to wash it off with soap but no luck.

Also have you ever had stains show up around the waste pump out areas on the deck? Same thing, boat wash has not worked to clean it off.

Todd
Makin' Waves
Charleston, SC

United States of America
Reelpriority
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Reelpriority » September 16th, 2013, 9:52 pm

We got down to Shelter Cove late Friday night and went fishing both Saturday and Sunday on a 24' Sea Hunt Center Console which probably made it look we were gone. Miss Judy was on the boat!
I haven't experienced the rust stains on this Carver but did have some stains on a 1993 Carver Express Cruiser around the stainless steel bow rail fittings where they were adhered to the deck. Sounds like you are getting some sort of metal corrosion. You may want to try Barkeepers Friend or Softscrub with the Bleach additive to address the brown pitting. Check your stern dock box hydraulic lift arms. Ours was rusting and I replaced with stainless steel. You may want to polish your stainless deck fittings and rails to minimize any corrosion issues.
MISS JUDY
Murrells Inlet, SC

Return to “The Project Center”