Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SideShift bow & stern thruster alternatives

Topic author United States of America
PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

SideShift bow & stern thruster alternatives

Postby PJHoffnet » September 9th, 2016, 3:47 pm

As we look for iur soon new to us boat we know we're getting into a size of boat we've never maneuvered before and thus understand that we'll have a learning/skill curve ... we're looking for things to help flatten that curve.

We're looking for twin diesel Carver 404 cockpits ... bow thrusters would be a great add on to help as our skills develop. Stern thrusters even better.

The number of boats we've come across with thrusters have been next to nothing, and almost all of them had gasoline engines. The cost of adding thrusters seem high, most places I've read about are talking in the range of $18K-$20K, that's not gonna work for us.

An alternative we've seen is the SideShift system. Was wondering if any folk out there have any testimonials.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: SideShift bow & stern thruster alternatives

Postby Viper » September 9th, 2016, 8:24 pm

If the budget isn't there for a typical tunnel bow thruster, then I recommend practice practice practice! :captain: Don't go with the SideShift on the bow and don't worry about the boat's/your ability to swing the stern.

I've installed both the bow and the stern versions. The bow version was against my recommendations but hey you just can't convince some people otherwise and it was money in MY pocket. Comparatively speaking however, it does fit in most budgets. There is a place however for the stern unit IMO. In some cases as I have experienced, it's actually a very good option if not the only one, and they have and continue to perform great.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » September 9th, 2016, 9:34 pm

A 40 footer with diesels and big props will make for easy maneuvers.

Read up and practice.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Mkemper
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 86' carver 3207 Aft
[IMG]http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff498/mjkkemper/null_zps98e8d64b.jpg[/IMG]

Postby Mkemper » September 9th, 2016, 10:35 pm

What they charge for installing thrusters is ridiculous. I put my own bow and stern thrusters in for a fraction of the cost they charge. (Tunnel type) I would not recommend the sidshift things at all. Tunnel type are the way to go. I have some pics in the thread carver revised. When I get sometime I should put a video together on just the thruster. I never crashed my boat before thruster but having them make life a lot easier. Just simplifies the whole docking thing.

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » September 10th, 2016, 9:59 am

Before the Carver I had a 28ft single I/O Bayliner so the jump to the 404 was a bit intimidating. But with advice from friends and practice I did just fine. Go slow, don't get in a hurry and don't count do'overs (consider them as practice runs).
..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » September 10th, 2016, 5:30 pm

I have always had a desire for at least a bow thruster on our 350 Mariner. But with each successful backing in to our slip my case with the department of finance gets weaker. So I will reside in the practice camp. There will always be days when the wind just messes you up but you will learn how to get it done..... as above slow and steady usually wins this race.

Happy docking
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 10th, 2016, 7:28 pm

The side shift units are great, had a S80 bow thruster on my previous 32' boat. I now have both bow and stern thrusters (conventional style) on the Carver and to honest with you I love everything about them. Would never go back to a boat not equipped with them. Basically they get rid of the pucker factor when things get hairy as they will in high winds.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » September 15th, 2016, 10:10 pm

No need for a stern thruster. My 506 has a bow thruster and I can walk the boat sideways without issue. One engine forward and the opposite in reverse, and then use the thruster to mover the bow.

As for the Sideshift units, I guess it depends on where you boat. We have a guy in our marina with a 42 Regal with one. When the weeds get too high and he is running at idle, trying to use the thruster becomes an issue as it jammbed with weeds. The units do offer a more economical option to the tunnels.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Topic author United States of America
PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby PJHoffnet » September 19th, 2016, 6:11 pm

Looks like most point towards what I was hoping to hear - bows are great, practice is the best medicine, and sterns aren't all too useful on a twin screw.

Thanks everyone.

United States of America
Tennessee River Rat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 506 Aft Cabin 480 Volvo's
2007 Meridian 341 with 6.2 MPI Horizon Mercruiser Engines
1988 Sea Ray 340 with Twin 454's
1987 Stratos with 200 HP Merc

Postby Tennessee River Rat » August 2nd, 2017, 12:18 pm

I got pricing for bow & stern thrusters on our 506 from Florida Bow Thrusters and they were pretty reasonable. They do a lot of installs for sea ray and meridian. You might want to get a quote from them
Mike.Clark@FloridaBowThrusters.Com>

Return to “The Project Center”