Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

wood floor in salon

Topic author
tinbanger00
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1983 3207 aft cabin

wood floor in salon

Postby tinbanger00 » August 30th, 2013, 10:01 am

In our 1983 3207 aft cabin,I was thinking about tearing up the carpet and replacing it with a laminate floor.
Has anyone done anything like this? Im looking for pros or cons about this kind of project.
or any thoughts ....thanks

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Re: wood floor in salon

Postby AaHubb » August 30th, 2013, 10:29 am

Are there any access panels to deal with?
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

Topic author
tinbanger00
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1983 3207 aft cabin

Postby tinbanger00 » August 30th, 2013, 3:23 pm

of course........4 of them....got to get at them power plants somehow

michaelgass
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 32 foot, 1988, Carver 3207 Aft cabin.

Postby michaelgass » September 3rd, 2013, 8:43 pm

I pulled the carpet in the salon of my 3207 Carver Aft and replaced it with 4-in W x 36-in L Oak Luxury Vinyl Planks that I purchased from Lowes. You can cut them to fit with a knife. Easy install even with 4 hatches in my salon area. I did the three steps as well. These are peel and stick. For added adhesive I used Liquid Nails. They look just like wood planks and much easier to install than laminate. Very easy to keep clean. They are also scratch resistent.

United States of America
CYO Admin
CYO Administrator
CYO Administrator

Postby CYO Admin » September 4th, 2013, 7:09 am

michaelgass wrote:I pulled the carpet in the salon of my 3207 Carver Aft and replaced it with 4-in W x 36-in L Oak Luxury Vinyl Planks that I purchased from Lowes. You can cut them to fit with a knife. Easy install even with 4 hatches in my salon area. I did the three steps as well. These are peel and stick. For added adhesive I used Liquid Nails. They look just like wood planks and much easier to install than laminate. Very easy to keep clean. They are also scratch resistent.

Would love to see pics of you have them!

Steamboat Willie
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 325 Aft Cabin

Postby Steamboat Willie » September 12th, 2013, 8:51 am

michaelgass wrote:I pulled the carpet in the salon of my 3207 Carver Aft and replaced it with 4-in W x 36-in L Oak Luxury Vinyl Planks that I purchased from Lowes. You can cut them to fit with a knife. Easy install even with 4 hatches in my salon area. I did the three steps as well. These are peel and stick. For added adhesive I used Liquid Nails. They look just like wood planks and much easier to install than laminate. Very easy to keep clean. They are also scratch resistent.

We would love to see pictures, as well. How long ago did you install and how is it holding up?
David & Mary
1997 Carver 325 Aft Cabin
Nightmare

United States of America
DanM
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Carver 396

Postby DanM » September 25th, 2013, 10:24 am

TinBanger, I pulled up the carpet/laminate combination in our 396 galley and replaced it with 9/16" strand woven Bamboo. There is a picture of if you scroll down on the "Projects" page. Edging the curve was tougher than I thought it would be but it turned out nice and the Admiral was thrilled (always a good thing). Two of my boat neighbors used the Amtico product and it turned out beautifully as well. The tough part for them was to make sure the surface was perfectly smooth as an imperfections in the oh-so-thin vinyl floor will eventually be mirrored in the Amtico. They used floor leveling compound and a lot of patience. Keep in mind that the carpet has great sound absorption qualities. Not just coming directly through the floor but also after it enters the cabin and bounces around so your sound levels will go up. You may also find the floor a little warmer on your feet after a cruise.

Good luck to you,
Dan
Dan

Carver 396
SugarSand Tango

Return to “The Project Center”