Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Installing Flooring in Carver Mariner

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Installing Flooring in Carver Mariner

Postby amanphoto » January 12th, 2017, 7:39 am

I want to replace the carpet in the Salon of my Carver Mariner. I've seen lots of boats posted with "wood" flooring. My questions are..... Is it real wood, laminate or vinyl that looks like wood? Does the flooring hold up to the dampness of being on a boat? Is it nailed down or glued? What has worked? Thickness of flooring, I don't think you would want to put 3/4" hardwoods in?

Here are a couple of pics I found. I want to Salon and Galley to match, being that it's an open area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Installing Flooring in Carver Mariner

Postby mjk1040 » January 12th, 2017, 4:39 pm

The possibilities are endless. Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » January 12th, 2017, 9:59 pm

mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post The possibilities are endless. Mike

++1
I think you'd be surprised at how much of what you see is vinyl. Some products look so real even I have to double check. The thing to remember about thin vinyl products is that they will show just about every surface imperfection of the floor you're laying them on, so make sure your substrate is clean and smooth with no pumps or cavities or they will eventually be noticeable. If the current floor is very uneven for some reason such as old glue, you can either remove with a sander or sometimes it's easier to lay a 1/4" sub floor over top. Use fillers to fill joints and low spots. Don't use solvents to remove old glue, the residue they leave behind may affect the new glue you use to apply your new product. The vinyls are typically glued down.

Wood products have been used for years with much success though they have their cons as well. One is that wood by it's very nature doesn't remain stable through varying conditions such as temperature, humidity, etc. Under some conditions, dimensions change, cracks can appear, finishes fade, etc. There is also a weight consideration. The only way I would go with wood is with an actual marine product like teak and holly. If I were in a climate where I wouldn't need to worry about climate, I may consider regular hardwood flooring but only if it were 1/4" thick. These are actually more expensive than the 3/4" variety (too much weight). Or I'd go with an engineered wood product. These tend to be more stable than solid wood. You can get this in teak and holly sheets. Pricier but the look is timeless.

Laminates are becoming more popular with DYIers such as in your second picture. Its cost makes it an attractive material to change an interior's look but keep in mind that if it's a traffic area getting wet at times, it may not be the best choice unless you're always on the ready to dry it up. Having said that, there are some waterproof ones, and some made of plastic. While these can float on the substrate, there will be areas that you'll have to mechanically fasten with glue or nails (hatches) depending on the material your substrate is made of.

If you're installing a product where carpet used to be, and the carpet wrapped around a hatch, you'll find quite a gap between the hatch top and surrounding floor to accommodate the thickness of the carpet. You'll need to fill this gap in somehow so that there is no cavity under your new flooring around openings.

Check out Google, boat shows, home shows, etc. Check out RV places too. They sometimes have product that doesn't always make it into the marine scene for a while. Pics from boats for sale are good for design ideas but it can be difficult to tell what product it actually is.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » January 13th, 2017, 9:05 am

I forgot to mention, I have seen some cork flooring installations and I must say I was impressed. Looked great, and from what I know, it is a very comfortable material to walk on, has natural antibacterial properties, and is fairly easy to install. I think there may be some regular coating maintenance to ensure the product remains sealed but don't quote me on that, newer products may have changed in that respect. I know there is also a product called Stazo Marinedeck 2000 (I think) that is sold in strips and looks like teak deck planking for decks.

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » January 13th, 2017, 11:55 am

I am really liking the look in the second picture. The "all in one" has a really nice flow. Our 2001 has the floor hatch layout as shown in the first picture which complicates the job. One of our past marina mates took on this job and did have quite the task getting the carpet and glue residue removed to a point where the surface was flat. If I tackle this job I am liking Viper's suggestion of laying the sub floor down before the finished deck product chosen. IMHO I think this is very a worthwhile project as it add a touch of class to the interior of the boat and is WAY, WAY easier to keep clean over the carpet.

Cheers
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » January 13th, 2017, 2:26 pm

If you want a cleaner look, don't frame in the hatches as in the pics. It takes a little more woodworking skill and time but if you frame the perimeter of the hatch and the opening in solid wood strips that are a close match (or stain it) to the flooring, it'll be the same level as the new floor and look way better than having it framed out with metal trim IMO. The following gives you an idea of what I'm talking about. It's teak and holly but you can do it with any flooring.
http://www.powerboat-services.co.uk/?lightbox=dataItem-itd2hmq8

United States of America
SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Still Searching

Postby SanJuanDreamer » January 14th, 2017, 11:18 am

I have a 98 Mariner with carpeting and it can get nasty.
When were out in the San Juans, it gets bad with two kids, dog, crabbing and fishing.
After some research, I'll be using PlasTeak with a 3/16 floor cover padding with a Teak\Holly vinyl flooring.
I'm sure my boats floor is not even and it does have protruding screws, so I'll need a better base floor.

United States of America
SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate

Postby SanJuanDreamer » January 14th, 2017, 11:28 am

I agree the metal frames around the hatches take away from the looks.

TonyC
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner

Postby TonyC » January 15th, 2017, 5:48 pm

I also like the second photo. May need to lighten it up a bit (wife can make this call) but having the galley and salon floor area one continuous layout looks good. I will need to have the holding tank hatch which does not appear in the second photo. The carpet does get grungy easily and I may be able to shampoo the carpet one last time. I do have a soft area of the floor at the bottom of the steps. I believe that there is an aluminum brace underneath that needs attention. Will have to wait till next winter's layup for this issue and replacing the carpet.

United States of America
SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate

Postby SanJuanDreamer » January 15th, 2017, 9:25 pm

Let me know what you find on the softspot.
Mine is in front of the stairs/salon table.
Don't notice it until I'm standing in front of the table and someone walks by.

Return to “The Project Center”