Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

CH 270 Engine rebuild project

Topic author Canada
irobertson
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver Riviera 2807

Re: CH 270 Engine rebuild project

Postby irobertson » April 8th, 2017, 11:29 am

Quick update. I spent quite a bit of time doing all the disassembly. Both engines were seized, and It took a couple of weeks to get the pistons out. The blocks went off to be cleaned and evaluated. Each had one cylinder that was worrying due to the amount of corrosion in the bore. Long story short, they are both junk. The guy who checked them for me cleaned and magnafluxed them, then started boring out the questionable cylinders to see if either would be usable. We decided on a .040 overbore as a limit, and there was still pitting after he cut that far, so we called it. He had a couple of 2 bolt main blocks in his shop that he sold me for a reasonable price, so these blocks are going to form the basis of my rebuild. They will each be bored .030 over and honed to fit a new set of pistons. Next is evaluating the crank shafts and removing the old pistons from the rods.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 8th, 2017, 12:36 pm

Sorry to hear that,How do the cams look? If you are thinking of using them again, before you order new lifters, check all the lobes for lift, your guy should be able to do that for you ( GM had some soft cams back in the day ) and make sure they are marked as to which engine they belong to....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
irobertson
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby irobertson » April 8th, 2017, 5:22 pm

Cams and cranks look good. However I'm not planning on reusing the cams. My guy is saying I should abandon the geared cam drive on the reverse rotation engine, and do timing chains on both. I'm inclined to agree with him. He can provide me with a set of matched cams, one LH one RH, and the reverse cam has the distributor gear cut the other way, so the dizzy & oil pump maintain correct rotation. The next step is ordering two sets of .030 over pistons and having them fit to the bores, and having the cranks properly inspected and polished. This is going to be a year long project, taking my time and just going through each step as $$ become available. I also have a list of things that need to be done to the car :-)

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » April 8th, 2017, 5:42 pm

I wonder what the concern is with gear driven cans. I view that as a big plus.
Id stay with gear drive.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 8th, 2017, 6:37 pm

irobertson wrote:Source of the post ....abandon the geared cam drive on the reverse rotation engine, and do timing chains on both.....

WHY?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 8th, 2017, 7:44 pm

irobertson wrote:Source of the post Cams and cranks look good. However I'm not planning on reusing the cams. My guy is saying I should abandon the geared cam drive on the reverse rotation engine, and do timing chains on both. I'm inclined to agree with him. He can provide me with a set of matched cams, one LH one RH, and the reverse cam has the distributor gear cut the other way, so the dizzy & oil pump maintain correct rotation. The next step is ordering two sets of .030 over pistons and having them fit to the bores, and having the cranks properly inspected and polished. This is going to be a year long project, taking my time and just going through each step as $$ become available. I also have a list of things that need to be done to the car :-)

Only thing I might ask him, would there be an issue with thrust load direction on the distributor ?.....actually the gear drive is cool, you will never have chain stretch or timing wander and you get that whine lol...... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
irobertson
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby irobertson » April 9th, 2017, 3:48 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I will discuss with him. I did ask about the thrust on the dizzy, but the new pump/dizzy drive gear would be cut at the opposite angle, and the dizzy gear would change, so thrust would still be the same. His position on this may just be his experience, he is a well respected race boat engine builder.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 9th, 2017, 4:19 pm

irobertson wrote:Source of the post Thanks for the feedback. I will discuss with him. I did ask about the thrust on the dizzy, but the new pump/dizzy drive gear would be cut at the opposite angle, and the dizzy gear would change, so thrust would still be the same. His position on this may just be his experience, he is a well respected race boat engine builder.

Cool....sounds like you are in good hands there.......keep us posted ... there are no good days if you don't learn something....

Return to “The Project Center”