Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Attention 350 Mariner Owners

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Attention 350 Mariner Owners

Postby feeez » April 27th, 2017, 7:57 pm

Happy days. The shrink wrap came our boat today. All is well in our world.. well almost.

One of the Carver's less that inspirational features of our model is that padded skirt around the aft of the cockpit. Something that was replaced by a SS rail in later years. Cleaning it, drying it, protecting it for another season over and over again and it still looks like crap every time we get back to the boat. The admiral and I have had enough of it. I am thinking about removing it and replacing it with something.... maybe teak. The two portions on each side of the transom door look very easy to remove but the piece on the door is held on by a couple of screw but it also seems to be firmly attached, perhaps glued.
Has anyone ever take this off before? Any insight would be great.

Thanks
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Re: Attention 350 Mariner Owners

Postby Ramsport47 » April 28th, 2017, 6:14 am

The piece on the door is screwed with the two screws you see and glued along the top. It's a little difficult to remove (3M 5200 or Sikaflex). Honestly, IMO, I wouldn't go with teak...probably the same amount of upkeep as your vinyl and would age the look of the boat. I would probably look at starboard.
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » April 28th, 2017, 9:02 am

Thank for the feedback Kenny. Is not familiar with starboard. Could you give me some more info on it?

Thanks
Fraser

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » April 28th, 2017, 9:11 am

I found the product on king plastics website

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 28th, 2017, 9:32 am

We have had a number of boats with different treatments of the cockpit coaming....this one which we like ,just need to clean a bit...we have had the teak ( 12 coats of spar varnish,looked fantastic, always good comments,maintenance you bet ),one had a stainless flat raised rail ( probably the best ) ,another with teak which we sanded and oiled every month....the thing in common which made the ones most comfortable to lean against was the padded bolster, even the stainless one had the bolster...that is the one thing I would keep.....

Took the wrap off just in time for the biblical downpour heh.??........ :-D ... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » April 28th, 2017, 10:59 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Took the wrap off just in time for the biblical downpour heh.??........ :-D ... :beergood:

We left the marina and I could feel that coming..... Glad I got the canvas water proofing done before.... LOL. This padded combing is just looking tired and got pretty messed up over the winter.... long story. At minimum it needs to be re-done..... we shall see what happens. This Starboard product looks pretty good

I am just searching around for a supplier up here.

F

United States of America
SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Still Searching

Postby SanJuanDreamer » April 28th, 2017, 5:59 pm

I know what you mean....mine had a tear so I replaced them all...$1000
After 4 years, they look tired again.
I bought Caver White vinyl spray paint two years ago and it came out fine.
I like the stainless railing best and have considered replacing them with a stainless rail.

PeterS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 350 Mariner re-powered with twin Mercruiser 6.2L Horizon MPI

Postby PeterS » May 1st, 2017, 1:30 pm

boat stern.jpg
have you thought of having a sunbrella cover made for the cockpit top rail. I have one for my 350 and it looks clean and gives the boat a bit of detail (and it didn't cost $1000.00)

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » May 1st, 2017, 2:45 pm

PeterS wrote:Source of the post
boat stern.jpg
have you thought of having a sunbrella cover made for the cockpit top rail. I have one for my 350 and it looks clean and gives the boat a bit of detail (and it didn't cost $1000.00)

That was our first thought. I found a couple of pics of this and it just didn't catch our eye. I thing we have decided to try the vinyl paint and if that does not pan out we will probably replace the padding with starboard anti skid marine lumber.

Cheers
Fraser

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 1st, 2017, 8:53 pm

Starboard is good in that there's no regular finishing required, but something to keep in mind is that it gets dirty, stains easily, and is not always the easiest thing to clean sometimes. In some cases it has to be sanded to get everything off so you're down to a fresh surface again. Some will use it as a core then cover it with that plastic woven mesh fabric that's getting popular for floors and walls, comes in different colours and patterns. Can't remember the name but I'll get it and re-post. You can also use a composite structural core material instead of Starboard if you're going to cover it. This will give you colour and pattern options and nothing will rot.

Got it:
http://infinitylwv.com/view-our-collections/

Return to “The Project Center”