Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Camera

Topic author
CarVermont
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 03 366

Camera

Postby CarVermont » July 26th, 2017, 8:18 am

Anyone install a backup camera? I have one on the way. I'll need to get some wires to back edge of the hardtop over the cockpit. There are lights on the underside so there must be a way.

2003 366

United States of America
gmwalley
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 370 Aft Cabin

Re: Camera

Postby gmwalley » July 26th, 2017, 12:47 pm

Good you decided on wired camera's - some folks at my marina tried the wireless versions but time lag between camera and screen made them all but useless.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » July 26th, 2017, 1:50 pm

I used wireless and no big time delay.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Topic author
CarVermont
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 03 366

Postby CarVermont » July 26th, 2017, 1:53 pm

Wireless vs wired....

I figured I needed to power the camera somehow, so I was running wires already...

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » July 26th, 2017, 2:00 pm

I powered the wireless camera thru the stern light, yes my nav lights have to be on for the camera to work, but didn't have to run wire all over to get to the helm. Then just wired the screen in at the helm on a spare switch.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Neilshanks
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 33 Mariner

Postby Neilshanks » July 26th, 2017, 6:10 pm

Any suggestions as to which brand of wireless camera might be best.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 26th, 2017, 10:39 pm

Wifi cameras are easy installs but be careful. Hooked up (wireless) to their own dedicated monitor is one thing, being connected to software driven navigation systems or remotely monitored through a computer raises concerns now. It's a hacker's newest way of getting in the back door. You just need to be aware that this is now possible and take security measures to prevent it. Personally, I'll stick with the hard wired type.

United States of America
thisDave
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 570
Twin Volvo D12 650

Postby thisDave » March 12th, 2019, 5:07 pm

CarVermont wrote:Source of the post Wireless vs wired....

I figured I needed to power the camera somehow, so I was running wires already...

Did you pick a camera or get the wire run through the Hard Top? I'm considering the same, but hesitant to drill into the hard top without knowing if i can get a fish tape through.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 12th, 2019, 6:35 pm

There are many solution out there however one needs to bring in a wireless network on board to take advantage of most everything today. Assuming you have a wireless network on board the possibilities really open up for tons of stuff other than wireless cameras. I elected to go with an Arlo wireless camera security system. I use 3 cameras on board but you can add more or less. The beauty of this is no wires at all as the cameras are battery powered and will carry the charge most of the summer. The hub will be located next to the LTE router. They come in several mounting option but magnetic is my choice. Pop one on the back and you now have rearward vision through my cell phone or ipad. Just another option you may want to consider. https://www.arlo.com/en-us/

Oh, there are no monthly fees for the Arlo system however only 1 week of video cloud storage is free which is much more than I will ever need. You can opt to pay and keep things in the cloud for as long as you like though.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sport Sedan

Postby darrenlife » October 2nd, 2019, 3:59 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post There are many solution out there however one needs to bring in a wireless network on board to take advantage of most everything today. Assuming you have a wireless network on board the possibilities really open up for tons of stuff other than wireless cameras. I elected to go with an Arlo wireless camera security system. I use 3 cameras on board but you can add more or less. The beauty of this is no wires at all as the cameras are battery powered and will carry the charge most of the summer. The hub will be located next to the LTE router. They come in several mounting option but magnetic is my choice. Pop one on the back and you now have rearward vision through my cell phone or ipad. Just another option you may want to consider. https://www.arlo.com/en-us/

Oh, there are no monthly fees for the Arlo system however only 1 week of video cloud storage is free which is much more than I will ever need. You can opt to pay and keep things in the cloud for as long as you like though.

Hello Hans,

I’m doing some research into cameras for the boat and this post came up.

I typically use my LTE iPad as a hotspot and wondering if you can tell me if this would work to provide a data connection to the Arlo basestation? Also, how do you have the Arlo base powered? I contacted Arlo tech support however they weren’t clear with their responses.

Thanks in advance!

Return to “The Project Center”