Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Potable Water/Raw Water Interconnect Modification

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Potable Water/Raw Water Interconnect Modification

Postby Midnightsun » May 17th, 2018, 8:52 am

Happens every now and then we run out of water in the tank after several days at anchor no matter how careful you are being there is only so much water on board. The main issue is the toilets will not flush as the draw is from the potable water tank and no water means no flush and an obligation to return to port.

The modification is to install a connection between the pressurized side of the potable water system and the pressurized side of the wash down pump. Using a solenoid valve and a filter to remove sediment and a few T connections is all it takes. This is the same connection all boats use to interconnect dock water to the potable water system except now it will be the washdown pump circuit.

Will add a 5a breaker in my panel to energize the solenoid just below my water pump breaker as this one needs to be off and visa versa when deactivating it. If I want lake water, turn off water pump breaker, turn on solenoid breaker, done deal.

This will work well for us as our boating waters are fresh water and almost drinkable. The idea is to use the feature when away from port for several days knowing we will probably run out. Will activate it when we take showers and maybe when we do dishes, the idea being to use less water from the tank.
Last edited by Midnightsun on June 6th, 2018, 6:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Potable Water/Raw Water Interconnect Modification

Postby Midnightsun » May 17th, 2018, 8:58 am

This is the solenoid I am using. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-NPT-12V-DC ... 2749.l2649

This is the breaker I am using. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Blue-Sea-7 ... 2749.l2649

This is the water filter I am using which is available on Amazon USA for $26 or Amazon Canada for $60 :censored: . the nice thing about this unit is it takes standard 10" x 2 1/2" filters which are dirt cheap. The unit for the application is perfect as the filter is 50 micron which is fine but not so much so as to block to quickly. I see no reason why I would need to change it out during the season but do plan on doing so each spring. There is already a strainer on the wash down pump intake so this will take out the bigger stuff before it sees this filter. The unit comes with no less than 3 cartridges which should keep you going for 3 years. The filter also incorporated a built in bypass valve in the head which is convenient for bypassing, or turning it off manually as can be seen in the picture.

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 4th, 2018, 4:25 am

All done, found out that the solenoid valve only holds water back in one direction so I had to add an in-line check valve to prevent flow from potable water system to washdown when the potable water pump is on. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewerks-W ... /204237824 Found a nice spot to mount the filter/solenoid.

The white thing beside the water tank tucked in there is the check valve. Mounted it close to where I interconnected to the potable water system line only about 6 inches away. This way when not in use there is no pressure from the potable system farther down the line which would pressurize the filter, solenoid and other connectors downline. Not that this is a problem as they are designed for this however it is always a good idea to not have them pressurized.

Picture of mounted filter/solenoid. Mounted to a piece of 2x8 glued to the bed frame fiberglass. Stainless custom made mounting bracket secured to 2x8 with 4 screws which makes for easy filter changes and use of built into the top filter/off/bypass valve. Winterization should also be a breeze.

Need to do a final leak test as I obviously need to be in the water to activate the wash down pump other wise the installation is complete.

Will post a picture eventually of activation breaker in the DC panel. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 5th, 2018, 8:24 pm

Here is the picture of the DC panel where I located the breaker that serves as a switch to activate the interconnect solenoid. It is the white one labeled "river water". Thought it best to use a 5A breaker just below the washdown pump and water pressure pump. flip off water pressure, flip on washdown and "river water", now the interconnect is operational. :-D Endless supply of water for showers and flushing. :worthy:

AGAIN I WILL MENTION I AM ABLE TO DO THIS BECAUSE OF THE CLEANLINESS OF THE FRESH WATER WE BOAT IN. I DEFINITELY DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS IF THE WATER YOU ARE IN IS POLLUTED OR IN SALT WATER.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 10th, 2018, 8:36 pm

Leak test done, no issues, works like a charm. :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » June 10th, 2018, 10:15 pm

I just love a happy ending.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 10th, 2018, 4:56 am

Got to actually try it out last weekend, works absolutely perfectly. Was concerned the shower pressure would be low but not the case at all. Endless water. :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » July 10th, 2018, 5:52 am

Very, very well done project!!

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 4th, 2018, 7:02 am

Just came back from 4 days on the hook. First time I managed to come back with 3/4 of a tank of water and we used water like there was an unlimited supply! Oh wait, there was. :-D I thought this was a good idea but it turned out to be a fantastic one. Love this modification and if you boat in clean water I highly recommend it.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
daveS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: ☀️Sanity Sol☀️
1999 350 Mariner