Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Mattress Replacement DIY

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Mattress Replacement DIY

Postby Midnightsun » June 3rd, 2018, 5:58 am

The original mattresses on board were rather uncomfortable and my wife was not to keen on sleeping in a bed which someone else had used for 10 years. They were also heavy (coil spring) and made bed making cumbersome. Finally got around to changing both the master and guest mattresses. Problem here is they are shaped rather strange so customization was required. Decided to go with an Ikea mattress as the quality is outstanding and the price is right. We were able to lay down on several models and choose what we liked. We did ask around for "professional" mattress but the bottom line is they give you a chunk of foam cut to size to the tune of $1000 for something you may not be comfortable on.

Required a Queen size to fit the master. The guest required a king and even this was not big enough due to the weird bow shape/fitted design. Luckily the waste after the cut was big enough to glue the missing piece into place creating an identically sized copy of the original. Used a spray adhesive made for foam which worked perfectly. The bow mattress (guest) also had angles on both side to fit the hull shape so this one was trickier than the master.

Laid the old mattress on top of the new and traced out the pattern with a marker. Checked out youtube and found the recommended way of cutting the foam was with an electric carving knife which also worked well. The Morgedal mattress we chose has a zipped on cover which was removed, modified/sewn to fit the new cut mattress shape. https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/40272211/

Picture of the Guest mattress which was the complicated one, Master is the same but a different shape. Very pleased with the results.

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Re: Mattress Replacement DIY

Postby pepmyster » June 6th, 2018, 6:28 am

Great job!!!!!!!!!!

United States of America
Bacchus
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 Carver 300 Sedan

Postby Bacchus » June 6th, 2018, 7:26 pm

Nice DIY job!

Now - your next assignment is to to make a set of custom sheets to fit the weird shapes.
I have done several sets and they are not all that difficult.
I buy individual flat sheets at Target or W World
Trace shape and cut out the top leaving an inch or so for seaming
Measure mattress thickness and add several inches to fit under the mattress and to sew a hem in the bottom edge - I sometimes buy and extra sheet to have enough matching mat'l for the side pieces.
Sew several side pieces together to have enough to go around the outside edge of the mattress - better to have too much than not enough.
Sew a hem in one edge to put in elastic or a draw string. Insert a string as you sew the hem of after w/ a small snake pushed through the hem to pull the string back through.

Sew the side to the top starting at a position that will be easily accessible when making the bed. - continue to sew until you approach the starting point - cut and finish the cut edge and complete sewing the side piece on.

The fitted sheet can be placed on the mattress and the string used to draw it tight - I have used a slide lock similar to those used on jacket bottoms to hold the draw string. If desired you can use the string to pull an elastic through the hem and tie the end together to provide a fitted sheet w/ an stretchy side panel fit.

Hope it helps

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » June 7th, 2018, 3:44 am

Nice job. Looks like you will have comfortable sleeping aboard in the near future.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 10th, 2018, 8:38 pm

Tried the master mattress for the last 4 nights, heaven. :-D Had my daughter up front and she was very pleased. Overall it was a great upgrade.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Bentone23
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 355 Aft Cabin
454 xls EFI

Postby Bentone23 » November 5th, 2018, 3:01 am

How much did you spend on the Ikea matresses?
Bruce Bennett
Bentone23@sbcglobal.net
1996 355 Aft Cabin
Central California
Boating on the Delta and SF Bay

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 5th, 2018, 4:07 am

There is a link to the mattress in the initial post. All depends on what size you need. I my case it came to $800 CDN for both. Probably cheaper in the states.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Bentone23
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 355 Aft Cabin
454 xls EFI

Postby Bentone23 » November 9th, 2018, 11:03 pm

I found a mattress manufacturer that is in Sacramento, CA. He is building mine using the old master cabin mattress as a guide. It is $600 delivered. I should have it back in a week or 2.
Bruce Bennett
Bentone23@sbcglobal.net
1996 355 Aft Cabin
Central California
Boating on the Delta and SF Bay

United States of America
jasontn
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Mariner 3697

Postby jasontn » June 20th, 2020, 9:50 pm

Hi Benton -
Were you happy with the mattress and if so would you be willing to share the information of the company that made it?

Midnightsun - Great job, that looks great.

Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Postby chpsk8 » June 22nd, 2020, 11:21 pm

If you have a company called Mattress Factory near you they will make one using your old as a template for under a grand. Drop off the old one and pick up the new one a few days later. They can get fancy and even customize the firmness by side so you both sleep well.

Return to “The Project Center”