Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Mattress Replacement DIY

Ireland
Vads1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Re: Mattress Replacement DIY

Postby Vads1 » August 25th, 2020, 9:02 am

I recently used this company fora new custom mattress. Very pleased with the results.

Ireland
Vads1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Vads1 » August 25th, 2020, 9:03 am

I recently used this company for a new custom mattress. Really pleased with the results.

Italy
william5
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby william5 » January 16th, 2023, 8:29 am

Bacchus wrote:Nice DIY job!

Now - your next assignment is to to make a set of custom sheets to fit the weird shapes.
I have done several sets and they are not all that difficult.
I buy individual flat sheets at Target or W World
Trace shape and cut out the top leaving an inch or so for seaming
Measure mattress thickness and add several inches to fit under the mattress and to sew a hem in the bottom edge - I sometimes buy and extra sheet to have enough matching mat'l for the side pieces. Got a mattress lifter from https://mattress-lifter.com.au/ to help me in changing sheets.
Sew several side pieces together to have enough to go around the outside edge of the mattress - better to have too much than not enough.
Sew a hem in one edge to put in elastic or a draw string. Insert a string as you sew the hem of after w/ a small snake pushed through the hem to pull the string back through.

Sew the side to the top starting at a position that will be easily accessible when making the bed. - continue to sew until you approach the starting point - cut and finish the cut edge and complete sewing the side piece on.

The fitted sheet can be placed on the mattress and the string used to draw it tight - I have used a slide lock similar to those used on jacket bottoms to hold the draw string. If desired you can use the string to pull an elastic through the hem and tie the end together to provide a fitted sheet w/ an stretchy side panel fit.

Hope it helps

Thanks for the great advice, Bacchus! I appreciate your help and I'm excited to get started on making my custom sheets. I'll definitely keep these tips in mind!

Italy
william5
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby william5 » January 17th, 2023, 5:59 am

william5 wrote:
Bacchus wrote:Nice DIY job!

Now - your next assignment is to to make a set of custom sheets to fit the weird shapes.
I have done several sets and they are not all that difficult.
I buy individual flat sheets at Target or W World
Trace shape and cut out the top leaving an inch or so for seaming
Measure mattress thickness and add several inches to fit under the mattress and to sew a hem in the bottom edge - I sometimes buy and extra sheet to have enough matching mat'l for the side pieces. Got a mattress lifter that you can shop here and it has helped me in changing sheets.
Sew several side pieces together to have enough to go around the outside edge of the mattress - better to have too much than not enough.
Sew a hem in one edge to put in elastic or a draw string. Insert a string as you sew the hem of after w/ a small snake pushed through the hem to pull the string back through.

Sew the side to the top starting at a position that will be easily accessible when making the bed. - continue to sew until you approach the starting point - cut and finish the cut edge and complete sewing the side piece on.

The fitted sheet can be placed on the mattress and the string used to draw it tight - I have used a slide lock similar to those used on jacket bottoms to hold the draw string. If desired you can use the string to pull an elastic through the hem and tie the end together to provide a fitted sheet w/ an stretchy side panel fit.

Hope it helps

Thanks for the great advice, Bacchus! I appreciate your help and I'm excited to get started on making my custom sheets. I'll definitely keep these tips in mind!

Return to “The Project Center”