Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

LED Lighting Conversion

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: LED Lighting Conversion

Postby RGrew176 » October 2nd, 2018, 11:34 pm

Have any of you found that LED's cause interference with either the TV or VHF. I just read an article that in some cases LED's can interfere with VHF radio operation. On my particular boat I installed a Phillips Hue LED bulb in the lamp in the salon. I have one of those conventional disc shaped TV antennas mounted up on the bridge for my TV. The cable runs down from the bridge to the salon. I run the cable into a digital converter box then into the TV.

Since I put the LED bulb in the salon lamp I find that when the lamp is on it interferes with the TV causing massive pixelization which makes the TV unwatchable. I turn off the lamp and the pixelization ceases. I want to keep the LED bulb but also want to watch the TV. I too have been thinking about converting at least the salon light fixtures to LED's but don't want to create any more TV issues. Is the solution looking at a different digital converter box that perhaps runs on a different frequency? Or, go back to a conventional bulb? Or just live with it and only use the salon fixtures and leave the lamp off when watching TV.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » October 3rd, 2018, 5:46 am

Talking about that, We changed alot of bulbs in our home for led. They cause our dimmers to buzz like crazy and also, when dimmed, they themselves create buzz noises. So, I know what your talking about. The good and the bad.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 3rd, 2018, 6:25 am

pepmyster wrote:Source of the post Talking about that, We changed alot of bulbs in our home for led. They cause our dimmers to buzz like crazy and also, when dimmed, they themselves create buzz noises. So, I know what your talking about. The good and the bad.

Pretty sure it is simply your dimmers are not LED compatible. Conventional dimmers such as we all have in our older homes normally are not LED compatible.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 3rd, 2018, 6:38 am

I installed a Phillips Hue LED bulb

Correct me if I am wrong but these are 110v? I have never had issues with any type of interference with LED (all 12v style) on the boat and believe me I have tried quite a few. Probably something to do with the circuitry that makes HUE function on 110v and/or it's wireless capability messing up DC on the boat.

As for VHF interference glad you brought it up as I forgot. Here is the official warning and test one can run to see if there is any interference. So far I have never seen any. https://gcaptain.com/u-s-coast-guard-wa ... reception/
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby PJHoffnet » October 3rd, 2018, 5:17 pm

RGrew176 wrote:Have any of you found that LED's cause interference with either the TV or VHF. ....

Not with the TV or VHF, but sometimes with my FM stereo - light on - staticy, light off - clear.
Last edited by PJHoffnet on November 28th, 2018, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » October 3rd, 2018, 6:05 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post
I installed a Phillips Hue LED bulb

Correct me if I am wrong but these are 110v? I have never had issues with any type of interference with LED (all 12v style) on the boat and believe me I have tried quite a few. Probably something to do with the circuitry that makes HUE function on 110v and/or it's wireless capability messing up DC on the boat.

As for VHF interference glad you brought it up as I forgot. Here is the official warning and test one can run to see if there is any interference. So far I have never seen any. https://gcaptain.com/u-s-coast-guard-wa ... reception/

Yes, the Phillips bulb is 110. It is in the 110 lamp that I have in the salon. It's a 100 watt equivalent, throws out a decent amount of light.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » October 3rd, 2018, 6:53 pm

Yup, Found out that the dimmers are not good for led lights. DAMM!!!!!

Return to “The Project Center”