Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Sideshift bow thruster

Topic author Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sport Sedan

Sideshift bow thruster

Postby darrenlife » November 11th, 2018, 3:54 pm

Hi folks,

I have seen this topic discussed in other threads but hoping to have a focused discussion on the Sideshift bow thruster specifically.

My previous boat was a 39’ aft cabin with twin diesels, no bow thruster. I found the torque of the diesels allowed me to put the boat anywhere I needed it to go but, on occasion, wished I had a bow thruster during adverse conditions. The boat was a big sail and I’m surrounded by locks. My new to me boat has less area above the waterline but is 47’ LOA. It has 24” props with 496 gasers so thinking there should be enough power to push it around in tight quarters however trying to plan ahead to avoid a premature visit to purgatory with my admiral. For Sideshift owners...was the investment worth it versus traditional tunnel thruster? A bow thruster in my neck of the woods is $15-20k whereas I can install Sideshift for $7k all-in

I appreciate your thoughts.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Sideshift bow thruster

Postby Midnightsun » November 11th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Had and installed a Sideshift on my previous 32. They work very well however if you are in weed infested water they do not work well at all. Silent and very powerful. For the money they are well worth the expense in comparison to glassing a tunnel.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » November 11th, 2018, 8:10 pm

Come to the US, bet u can have a tunnel put in for about the same price as the side shift. Heard of installers that will do it for about the same price! Then again I could have been getting BS. May be worth the trip south!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 11th, 2018, 9:07 pm

Does the 15 to 20 include everything all in ? If you are thinking to install the side shift yourself ,a thought here, maybe you could have them do the proper tunnel and you fit the product you choose, wire etc.
I believe with the tunnel it is very important the fibreglass fairing to be done correctly, not just a hole. At this time of year it is very interesting to wander the boat yards and see so many different versions of these thrusters......big boats with small tunnels, small boats with big tunnels.... :confused:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 12th, 2018, 5:21 am

mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post Come to the US, bet u can have a tunnel put in for about the same price as the side shift. Heard of installers that will do it for about the same price! Then again I could have been getting BS. May be worth the trip south!

My understanding is a conventional bow thruster installation in the states is at least 10,000 US once all is said and done. That would be around 13,000 CDN. Basically twice the cost. Nice thing about the Sideshift is you can easily remove it to transfer to the next boat if you wanted to. I had the original model and unfortunately they were not perfected yet. After 6 years the seals went which ruined the bearings and motor. I replaced the part only to find out they did redesign it so I must assume they are in for the long run now. Regardless, if I had to do it all over again I would change the seals every 5 years just to be safe, an easy job once the boat is hauled in fall.

I had the dual prop 5hp unit, SS340 to be exact. https://shop.sideshift.com/collections/ ... 1496054883

Here is a great price on a unit that I would consider if I had your boat and was contemplating a conventional installation. Actually I am pretty sure this is what came factory on my boat! The installation cost is going to be the same for a small or large unit so might as well have enough power. If there is one thing I keep hearing is "I wish my thruster was more powerful"! Do not make the mistake of installing too small a unit. https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?name=side-power-se80-185t-dc-thruster-(on-off)&path=-1|2331321|2331333|2331336&id=2277142
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Huckleberry
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2007 Carver 36ss .
2005 Carver 44 CPMY

Postby Huckleberry » November 12th, 2018, 11:54 pm

Having a Sideshift stern thruster installed . Highly recommended in my area .
Huck

Return to “The Project Center”