Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Sheets and how to make them fit

Topic author United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Sheets and how to make them fit

Postby Cliffm » November 18th, 2018, 10:31 pm

The wife & I just bought a 2006 Carver 36 MY. The PO had installed a larger foam topper on the aft berth bed. The fwd berth bed is factory mattress and very oddly shaped.

Those with similar layouts, what have you done? Meaning, have you purchased sheet sets (what size?) and done what to make them tuck in/fit? The wife thinks the aft berth is close to Queen size, I'm leaning closer to "full" size. As for the fwd berth, I'm guessing at least a queen, if not King, to wrap that odd shaped mattress?

We're thing of using suspender clips with elastic webbing, and fashioning 45 degree corner "snuggies" underneath the mattress.

Your thoughts and idea's much appreciated.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: Sheets and how to make them fit

Postby RGrew176 » November 18th, 2018, 10:50 pm

You may have to go with something custom made. Definitely more expensive but will look better in the end.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
Austinorson
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1980 3326 Voyager
1989 Chaparral 187xl

Postby Austinorson » January 19th, 2020, 7:58 am

Hi, I am going to try to use a pair of suspenders clipped to the underside of a sheet to keep it on our odd shaped mattress on.

United States of America
Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 444 diesels

Postby Pete » January 20th, 2020, 6:47 pm

There is a difference between RV QUEEN & queen.

Also RV KING & king ( and of course Cal King).

Different depth of sheets are available on line. Odd shapes may require a sewing machine, done that.
2001 444
The best way to improve your memory is to do unforgettable things.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » January 21st, 2020, 5:37 am

Tucking them in is about the only way especially on a berth V mattress or any other oddly shaped one as when you turn in bed you still want sheets to work with. As for items under you such as a quilted mattress topper or standard bed sheet those can be modified to suit the shape by anyone with basic sewing skills. ;-) The odd shape of a V berth mattress usually means a king set. Fairly easy to determine armed with a measuring tape. :-D

When we bought the boat we chucked both the mattresses for hygienic and not to mention comfort reasons. We simply went to Ikea where we could try different foam mattresses and we chose the model we were comfortable on. Removed the zip-on protector, laid the old mattress on the new and traced the outline with a marker, used an electric carving knife and cut the new to shape. The zip-on protector was now modified to suit the new shape and put back on. While I was there I taped together some kraft paper to get it big enough and traced the pattern of both mattresses onto it which I have at home. This serves as a pattern for sheet modification.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “The Project Center”