Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Diesel vs propane heat in a ‘85 3227 Convertible?

Topic author United States of America
ZenTodd
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver 3227 Convertible
Twin Chevy 350’s marinized by Crusader

Diesel vs propane heat in a ‘85 3227 Convertible?

Postby ZenTodd » November 24th, 2018, 6:38 pm

Hello- what do you guys and girls think?

Diesel forced air furnace or Dickinson propane Newport?

Diesel would probably be an easier instal but would require a separate diesel tank and filling solution.

The Newport needs a chimney and a custom mount created as I have no real bulkhead to put it against (the only place I can mount the Newport would be forward of the couch above the refrigerator on the wood cabinet. I outdone fab a SS horizontally mounted bulkhead). However I really like the fire place feel.

Has anyone ever done either on the 3227?

Thanks in advance.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Diesel vs propane heat in a ‘85 3227 Convertible?

Postby Viper » November 25th, 2018, 3:13 pm

You may want to check with your insurance company about using a propane appliance and how it affects your policy and rate. While a properly installed propane system is reasonable safe, some insurance companies prefer not to deal with it.

Is this for use out on the water or at the dock? If at the dock, do you not have a reverse cycle air/heat unit/s in the boat? If not, it may be something to consider as it would run off shore power or if applicable, a generator out on the water.

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » November 26th, 2018, 10:58 am

Unless you already have a propane system onboard I would go with the diesel. It is a much safer fuel and can be stored in the engine room. I believe propane has to be stored outside of the boat proper (swim platform).

..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 26th, 2018, 12:40 pm

Fun fact......a 20# propane tank holds about 16# full......that gas would occupy approximately 130+ cubic feet of space if it leaked out inside your hull......... be very careful.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
ZenTodd
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver 3227 Convertible
Twin Chevy 350’s marinized by Crusader

Postby ZenTodd » November 29th, 2018, 12:06 am

Thanks for all your thoughts. I have a coast guard approved propane locker. However, I’m thinking diesel forced air will be best. I have a heat/ac pump but I haven’t installed it yet. Even if I do I mostly need heat on the hook and don’t want to run a generator all the time.
Thanks again

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 29th, 2018, 5:02 am

I mostly need heat on the hook and don’t want to run a generator all the time.

Mine came with this installed as the previous owner wanted to be able to get an early start and a late haul out while still being able to anchor out with heat and no generator running. I actually have a picture of the boat anchored on the lake with a ski hill in the background still full of snow which is rather unusual in my neck of the woods. I have only fired it up a couple of times just to keep it operational but it does work well. Bottom line is I could go to my boat right now which is on the hard and fire up the heater with no shore power connected.

It was installed by the vendor that sold the Carver when new at their facilities. A Wabasto top air 5000 (5000w/17,000 btu) to be exact or a forced air diesel heater if you prefer. The cost when new including installation and ducting all over the boat even to the bridge was close to $10,000. :-O They are very efficient consuming around 1 gallon for 20 hours of operation. That being said there are so many knockoff now for dirt cheap that this may be the way to go. I did purchase a 5000 btu knockoff just to play with for $150 and can tell you they are well built and would not hesitate to install one on any boat. Bottom line is if you are handy a complete system will be under $500 once all is said and done.

These are the units I am referring to. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... itleDesc=0

Here is the least expensive one I could find. https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-5KW-5000W- ... :rk:8:pf:0
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “The Project Center”