Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Makrolon VR experience anyone

Topic author United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Makrolon VR experience anyone

Postby cpoint » January 28th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Hi to all. Been awhile since I posted anything. We replaced our vinyl windows on the carver 356 last year, must have gotten the wrong vinyl, they turned bad real fast, some panels I can't see thru. Anyway, I am looking at alternative material, and kind of settled for Makrolon. Specifically "Makrolon VR" which is apparently some what flexible enough to roll unlike the none VR version. Apparently it can be cut, sewn fairly easy. Has anyone used this material, do you have any pics, comments on it? Thanks in advance.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Re: Makrolon VR experience anyone

Postby Cooler » January 28th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Hello cpoint. Surprising you got only 1 season out of your windows. I have not personally used Mak VR. A customer of our marine store used it, and was disappointed with it's flexibility. Smaller pieces did not roll up. He only tried it on some smaller windows before making commitment to windshield type applications. He stuck with Strataglass as it provided him with the durability and clarity he wanted, and maintained the flexibility to roll up the windshield cut outs. I have Strataglass also, totally happy. We are fresh water boaters only. Key to Strata is cleaning/polish using the recommended products. The previous owner of my boat used Plexus cleaner, and I could see a slight haze starting. I switched to Imar, and the haze is getting cleared up after a couple of applications. Strataglass publishes warnings on cleaning products. I have also had Isenglass, but was disappointed in how easy it scratched and got smokey after just a single season. Good luck with your project! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 28th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Cant comment on the Makrolon, but,..... would you not have some warranty on your windows?....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » January 28th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Odd, any regular run of the mill vinyl transparent window will last at least 10 if not 15 years assuming you take care of them. That being said the makrolon or similar stuff looks great but is very susceptible to scratching and you do not want to roll them up. Most larger boats that have this flip up inwards and upwards and attach to the ceiling of the hard top.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » January 29th, 2019, 1:01 am

Cooler wrote:Source of the post Hello cpoint. Surprising you got only 1 season out of your windows. I have not personally used Mak VR. A customer of our marine store used it, and was disappointed with it's flexibility. Smaller pieces did not roll up. He only tried it on some smaller windows before making commitment to windshield type applications. He stuck with Strataglass as it provided him with the durability and clarity he wanted, and maintained the flexibility to roll up the windshield cut outs. I have Strataglass also, totally happy. We are fresh water boaters only. Key to Strata is cleaning/polish using the recommended products. The previous owner of my boat used Plexus cleaner, and I could see a slight haze starting. I switched to Imar, and the haze is getting cleared up after a couple of applications. Strataglass publishes warnings on cleaning products. I have also had Isenglass, but was disappointed in how easy it scratched and got smokey after just a single season. Good luck with your project! 8-) er

Cooler, thanks for info. strataglass maybe an option also. But What I am reading is Makrolon VR is rollable, I think band radius is 4 inches.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » January 29th, 2019, 1:03 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Cant comment on the Makrolon, but,..... would you not have some warranty on your windows?....

Bud, got it off amazon. Sometimes dealing with warranty is more hassle than it is worth. I had not spend too much on it.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » January 29th, 2019, 1:07 am

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Odd, any regular run of the mill vinyl transparent window will last at least 10 if not 15 years assuming you take care of them. That being said the makrolon or similar stuff looks great but is very susceptible to scratching and you do not want to roll them up. Most larger boats that have this flip up inwards and upwards and attach to the ceiling of the hard top.

Makrolon, and anything of that type, I believe either removing panels, or doing flip ups is the way to go. I also think It works better if you have hard top so you can use tracks. Unfortunately I have canvas, so I am looking for creative ways how I can use this harder material. I do like to open up the front and sides when hot. I do like the look of harder material. So I am just looking at alternatives. I have no idea what happened. Not all panels went bad, just 3 of them. I can just replace them, but I just don't like vinyl, it just not like glass, there is always some warping.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » January 30th, 2019, 10:27 am

Actually looks like around August 2018, Makrolon became TUFFAK VR since Plaskolite purchased them. Anyway after some research, I have decided to give it a try, I will let you know how it turns out.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » January 30th, 2019, 11:18 am

C - looking forward to your experience! I am retired, but work very part time at a marine store. I never give advice on any product unless I use them first. Second tier of advisory is customer reviews. I would like to know how flexible it is with the windshield and side window flip up cut outs. I have to have that air flow, so I am constantly using zippers. Thanks! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Return to “The Project Center”