Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

High amp inverter/charger install

Topic author Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sport Sedan

High amp inverter/charger install

Postby darrenlife » April 26th, 2019, 11:41 pm

I’m in the process of finishing my inverter/charger installation. My question is whether the isolator(alternator) cable can be connected to the battery when the charger can output as much as 120amps? I have two isolators that appear to be 70amps each tied in parallel.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: High amp inverter/charger install

Postby km1125 » April 28th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Is that one isolator from each engine?

Not sure I exactly understand your question. Are you concerned about the charger causing a problem with the engine or alternator?

Topic author Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate

Postby darrenlife » April 29th, 2019, 9:05 am

Yes, concerned that the high amps from the charger could do to the isolators? I realize that isolator is basically a one-way valve but will I be okay since the two 70 A isolators appear to be in parallel?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 29th, 2019, 1:41 pm

It's not the amps that would affect the isolators, it would be the volts. I don't think you'd have any issue. I'm assuming those are diode isolators. If an isolator gets a VERY high voltage (spike) on the output side then it could damage it, but I would not expect anything like that from your charger, especially when it's connected though the batteries, as they are a very good buffer to voltage spikes.

Topic author Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate

Postby darrenlife » April 29th, 2019, 5:33 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post It's not the amps that would affect the isolators, it would be the volts. I don't think you'd have any issue. I'm assuming those are diode isolators. If an isolator gets a VERY high voltage (spike) on the output side then it could damage it, but I would not expect anything like that from your charger, especially when it's connected though the batteries, as they are a very good buffer to voltage spikes.

Great, thanks for your input, greatly appreciated!

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 29th, 2019, 6:32 pm

You may already know everything there is to know about these but see this just in case.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “The Project Center”