Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

95 355 Project Refresh

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: 95 355 Project Refresh

Postby g36 » May 14th, 2019, 11:13 am

One thing i would recommend for whichever way you mount is to drill holes abit oversize and fill with epoxy so that none of balsa core can get wet and rot. And drill through it where needed .my handles are bolted with a backing plate to the deck as the company designed them.. I actually had enough room to reach them on my 405 from inside the boat while replacing my water heater. Not easy but I did, the other side through access behind the head.both areas I could squeeze into. I was going to use the other method i speak of if this didnt work. Now if I was to redo I would drill a access hole up from the swim platform bottom directly below the handle socket mounts as to install the backing plate and nuts on the bolts and a extension on my socket wrenh to tighten them . then install a screw down plate with 4200 and again covering all wood with epoxy before buttoning it up. you would be ready to go I've noticed there's quite a bit of torque on these depending on how different people pull them selves out of the water I don't believe just screwing to deck would be strong enough. I used The included backing plates and have had no issues. I can tell you they are awesome as far as getting into and out of the water my wife especially thinks so and with the better boarding ladders we've installed it's made a huge improvement.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Marty
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2000 326 AFT Cabin

Postby Marty » May 21st, 2019, 5:12 pm

Boat looks great! What product did you use for the bottom paint?

Topic author Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Postby chpsk8 » May 24th, 2019, 10:27 pm

I used Blue Water Marine Paint Aqua Shield, Water Base Ablative, 45 Copper
We're in fresh water here and it's been effective for the last few boats. Very thick that's for sure. I bring it to a paint store and they rattle it up for me right before we apply it.

Also, finally in the water and was able to use the backup camera. Totally makes backing in 10x easier. I reversed the image so the port finger is on the port side of the monitor. Fingers come into range, line up and back right in. Barely even needed to turn around to look. Made docking a calm talking exercise instead of someone shouting up to the helm SIX FEET!!!! TWIST IT!!!! THREE FEET! WAIT TOO FAR!!! BACKKK!!!! NAILED IT!!!! haha :-P

chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate

Postby chpsk8 » June 15th, 2020, 3:36 pm

Had some free time over the spring while I wait for a trans rebuild. The cushions for the dinette were pretty ratty, so I bought new foam and fabric and remade them. I also found an air assist table leg so I can just flip a couple levers and push down the table with one hand. It's a touch too short, but for what I paid the tradeoff was worth it. Our old table leg was a pita.

chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate

Postby chpsk8 » June 15th, 2020, 3:45 pm

Also picked up some Infinity Vinyl Flooring to redo the carpet in the flybridge and aft deck. First I laid out a template, then brought it home and cut it out in the driveway, then added a binder to the edge. I will say the binding was a bear to work with. The back piece took two people to manipulate through the sewing machine. It looks much better than the slab of carpet we had before. The flybridge flooring was super old and turned to dust every time you stepped on it. Much nicer now. (haven't added snaps yet so some of it isn't perfectly aligned yet...)

chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate

Postby chpsk8 » June 15th, 2020, 3:53 pm

Over the winter I took the aft cabin canvas home, bought a sewing machine and learned how to make a new enclosure. Best money I've spent on a tool. I redid all the panels in .040 vinyl, and new sunbrella.
(not all snaps are installed in the images, so it might look a little baggy, it's not.)

Not all the panels have all the snaps installed, that's why it looks a little baggy in these photos.

United States of America
BenTen
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 3697 Mariner - "We'll Sea"

Postby BenTen » June 15th, 2020, 4:14 pm

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:
Thanks,
Ben in SC

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 15th, 2020, 6:43 pm

Nice job....... :down:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » June 16th, 2020, 8:06 am

Nice, very nice.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 16th, 2020, 1:03 pm

I like that vinyl flooring. What kind of sewing machine did you have to use to get the binding on there??

Return to “The Project Center”