Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New Inverter/House Bank

Topic author Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Re: New Inverter/House Bank

Postby vineyardgray » October 20th, 2019, 5:54 pm

So is this:
1571608420542209417439346489362.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 20th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Nice job...Something I have found for the many stranded wire , a wire ferrule....when you pinch the ferrule with those connectors it acts like a crimp and keeps all the strands intact.They can be removed from the connectors with no wire damage near as I can tell.

Getting extra into those cabinets is interesting, I am still bleeding from the other day.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » October 22nd, 2019, 8:34 pm

The ferrules look like they would have helped - do you use them without crimping them?
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

Topic author Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » October 22nd, 2019, 8:58 pm

I think this project can be considered done with the exception of the punch list :-D.

Lessons Learned:

1. Tough project. I can't imagine being an Installer for a living. Not only was lots of tight space "yacht yoga" involved but the learning curve and tying everything together was a lot more difficult than it seems on the surface. Let's just say my mettle was tested.
2. If you have the option between "saving money" by using dual 1/0 versus 4/0 - save yourself the trouble and go 4/0. Having to offset the lugs on the 1/0 caused me no end of headache.
3. The battery monitor is an awesome and necessary device even if you don't install all this other crap™
4. Having the right tools and lugs makes all the difference. Making the battery cables was a breeze because I had the hydraulic to borrow - if I had to have these made elsewhere it would have slowed my tortoise like progress even further.
5. Along the same lines as point 4 - Marine cable is tinned and finely stranded and as such is considered Flex cable so don't go to your local electrical wholesaler and expect number 6 AWG butt splices to fit very well even if they say they are meant for stranded cable. Same for ring terminals. Let's just say I figured this out the hard way.
6. Hole saws are measured OD (outer diameter) and electrical fittings are sized ID (inner diameter) thus an electrical fitting of 1-1/2" will not fit in a 1-3/4" hole. :up:
7. Just because it looks like a cable raceway goes in one direction doesnt mean it actually does. Carver sure made some head scratching design choices much to my amusement and irritation.

Thanks all for your comments throughout the process. I think writing this kinda kept me on track. :down: :beergood:
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 22nd, 2019, 8:58 pm

vineyardgray wrote:Source of the post The ferrules look like they would have helped - do you use them without crimping them?

I had a few around from the olden days... :-D .....what seems to work is to fit them to the wire size ,slip it on then heat shrink it in place....slip into the connector and tighten the screw...the act of the screw tightening down will pinch/crimp the ferrule for a perm attach which holds the wire in place nice.

Gotta get some more, amazon seems like the only place...there are no suppliers around me here that carry these things.You could fab em if really pressed but I will just order some..... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » October 22nd, 2019, 9:12 pm

Oh...
8. Have a look at where all the heavy stuff is already installed on your boat (fridge, stove, icemaker) and install your new 400lb battery bank and 60lb inverter/charger on the *opposite* side (unless you _want_ your boat to list like a bastard :-D
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 23rd, 2019, 7:32 am

Unless they've done it themselves, most people are out of touch with how time consuming and costly all the additional hardware can be in a whole system install to the panel. Heck I've spent 6 hours at times just assessing and laying out an install with no guaranty I'll be compensated for that time, however proper planning is key to saving time and ending up with a safe system. If they were familiar with everything involved, the deer-in-the-headlights look wouldn't be so common when one gets an estimate for installing everything. I keep saying that this is a "system" and the cost of the inverter is usually the cheapest part of it.

Thanks for sharing with everyone along the way and I'm glad you can finally kick back and ponder your next project ;-)

Topic author Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » October 23rd, 2019, 6:56 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post proper planning is key to saving time and ending up with a safe system

Amen to that - I started planning this stuff last year! Bought a charger only then a charger/inverter came up so switched gears... Reading all the blogs and manuals and like you say - the system integration was quite complex.

Viper wrote:Source of the post I'm glad you can finally kick back and ponder your next project

Ha - I already have a number planned :banghead: :-D
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 23rd, 2019, 8:05 pm

Hey man you did a great job, not only did you finish it and it works, but you documented it and left it out there for scrutiny with pics.......hats off to you..... :worthy:

Canada
Marty
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2000 326 AFT Cabin

Postby Marty » December 1st, 2019, 3:30 pm

Incredible job! Looks great and thank you for the play by play of your project. Does the Victron monitor keep tabs on both your house and starter banks? I am looking for a monitor I can use for both? Let me know!

Cheers

Return to “The Project Center”