Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New Twist on AC Winterizing

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

New Twist on AC Winterizing

Postby Midnightsun » October 13th, 2019, 8:25 am

As we all know winterizing the AC can be a B. I usually do it in the water so I can activate the AC pump as on shore I have no access power.

AC pumps are not self priming and therefor you can blow or run fluid past the gears/vanes without any pressure. I just bought one of these https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DM3SJPT/ref=dp_cerb_1 Which I will insert into a 2 1/2g wide mouth pink stuff container. The other end gets connected to my strainer cap adapter. It comes with long leads and a switch on the leads to turn on and off which is handy. I will use a small RC style battery to run it to avoid connecting it to the boat battery. Since I have 3 AC units I will plug 2 outlets with corks and run the pink stuff switching corks to ensure all three get done. Rather simple and effective.
Last edited by Midnightsun on March 9th, 2020, 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sport Sedan

Re: New Twist on AC Winterizing

Postby darrenlife » October 13th, 2019, 9:45 am

Looks interesting, Hans

I installed these on my main engines, genny, AC’s. certainly makes winterizing easy.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pa ... id=2755962

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: New Twist on AC Winterizing

Postby Midnightsun » October 19th, 2019, 6:11 pm

Ok, did all the winterizing today and am happy to report the little pump is a winner. :-D Worked exactly as I thought it would. Put corks in the 3 AC outlets, screwed on the adapter in place of my strainer cover, fired up the little motor in a 2 1/2g jug of pink. I then went outside by the hull and pulled one of the plugs, lots of water then pink, plugged it and did the remaining 2 outlets. Really worked well. :down:

In the picture you can see my screw on adapter that replaces the AC strainer cap. The other end with the motor gets submerged in pink. The pump comes with clamps for a temporary battery connection but I preferred to use a lipo RC battery as they are small and light and therefor cut off the clamps and soldered my standard RC plug in place.

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “The Project Center”