Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Endurance Marine Horizontal Windlass

Topic author United States of America
Dusty Bilges
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 300 Sedan

Endurance Marine Horizontal Windlass

Postby Dusty Bilges » February 8th, 2020, 3:01 pm

I am considering the purchase of an Endurance Marine horizontal anchor windlass (WCH2000 or WCH1000). ( I know everyone thinks I should get a Maxwell or one that takes both line and chain, but that is not going to happen.) Reason for the interest in Endurance winches is because of some scary reviews of the Powerwinch horizontal windlasses - which I will reconsider if someone has something nice to say about them.

Anyone have any experience with those windlasses (or hearsay or rumors)?

Question number two- On my 300 Sedan I would like to know how far the forwardmost bulkhead is from the center of the opening to the chain locker.

Thanks!

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Endurance Marine Horizontal Windlass

Postby tomschauer » February 10th, 2020, 10:51 pm

Why are you so adamant about not using a windless that will pull your complete rode of rope and chain? If you don't use any chain, they will still pull and stow your complete rode. If you use chain, the units you are considering will not pull your complete rode.

Just wondering.

Topic author United States of America
Dusty Bilges
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 300 Sedan

Re: Endurance Marine Horizontal Windlass

Postby Dusty Bilges » February 11th, 2020, 6:55 pm

Here's why. I am in a large border lake where I will typically anchor in 15-30 feet of water with a muddy bottom. It is my intention to use a heavier, but shorter chain with my Danforth. Probably ten feet. When the splice to the chain gets to the windlass the anchor is out of the water and very easy to pull the last few feet and secure. It's no big deal to stow the line and chain in the locker at my leisure. Plus...... I get to clean the rode if it's muddy. Plus.......... it will be way easier to install the unit. Actually, it's mostly about the last plus.

Return to “The Project Center”