Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

How to remove wallpaper

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: How to remove wallpaper

Postby Viper » April 10th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Just that you want to make sure that whatever glue is left on there isn't pealing away so it doesn't affect the adhesion of your new application. You also don't want to use any solvents right before you apply your new product as the solvent may continue to gas off for a while and affect the new glue. Read the instructions on the new glue and ensure that it's compatible with most other glue types or you may find it reacting with the old glue and lifting it, thus affecting the adhesion of the new job. It must also be compatible with the fabric/vinyl you're installing so it doesn't bleed through. Most spray-on type glues seem to be compatible with each other but read the label to be sure or ask. I think sprays are more expensive but they're easy to apply IMO, you just have to be careful with over-spray on adjacent surfaces. Some vinyl products are self adhesive which might make installation easier, you just have to make sure it's a quality product as the glue is usually where substandard products fail quickly. Also consider that if using a thin vinyl product, it will show every imperfection on the substrate such as depressions, bumps, trapped particles, etc. so you want to ensure all those are addressed prior to applying your covering. I also find it easier to apply vinyl and other fabrics in warmer temps as they tend to be more pliable and take to shaping and stretching much easier, especially if you're trying to reinstall older product after a repair.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 11th, 2020, 11:38 am

I have the same boat and wondering what you are considering to replace the wall covering?

I have thought about doing the same thing but have not tackled that project so far. I had a few areas that were peeling up and I reglued them several years ago. Seems like that stuff shrinks over time so areas where it used to be held down with the trim now it doesn't reach that far anymore. With those areas popping up I was thinking it might all come off rather easily with the help of a putty knife but I had not tried that yet.

I'm also wondering what you're doing on the starboard side right next to the lower helm (if you have a lower helm). On mine the wall covering goes behind that area, and I was thinking you'd have to remove the helm to get it all. I guess you could just cut it at that point but then what would you do when installing the new stuff??

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » April 12th, 2020, 4:18 am

Removing wallpaper, a fun project, not. Years ago we bought an old farm house that was built in 1865. This house was 120 years old. We decided to remove the wallpaper in the living room. As we peeled it away we counted 13 layers of paper. Was not a fun project.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 12th, 2020, 12:15 pm

I had a ton of wallpaper to remove in our current house, I mean it was everywhere! Used a wallpaper scoring tool then wet the surface with a liquid fabric softener, made it pretty easy to come off. But ya, I hate wallpaper now!

Topic author United States of America
StuartNewman
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1983 3607 aft cabin

Postby StuartNewman » April 15th, 2020, 5:19 pm

km1125.
km1125 wrote:Source of the post I have the same boat and wondering what you are considering to replace the wall covering?

I have thought about doing the same thing but have not tackled that project so far. I had a few areas that were peeling up and I reglued them several years ago. Seems like that stuff shrinks over time so areas where it used to be held down with the trim now it doesn't reach that far anymore. With those areas popping up I was thinking it might all come off rather easily with the help of a putty knife but I had not tried that yet.

I'm also wondering what you're doing on the starboard side right next to the lower helm (if you have a lower helm). On mine the wall covering goes behind that area, and I was thinking you'd have to remove the helm to get it all. I guess you could just cut it at that point but then what would you do when installing the new stuff??

km1125 On the starboard side I cut the wall vertically (where the vertical trim was) and was able to slide the 1/2 panel to the aft quite a bit. This exposed a lot of what was hiddenbehind the Helm console. I was able to remove more wallpaper and when it is recovered, I'll slide it back which will put the edge under the helm. I hope this will make it look better. The right edge will be under the trim.

This also has allowed me to access the back of the city water connection. I have been replacing the butyl waterlines on the port side where I can as the connections have been breaking. Now I can replace the starboard side behind the wall.

United States of America
SuzyQ
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver Mariner 330

Postby SuzyQ » February 14th, 2022, 2:49 pm

We just bought a 1996 Mariner 330. The wall covering (seems like an industrial grade of wallpaper) is coming off in several places or sagging. I really want to replace it somehow. After reading this thread, do have any finished pictures to share or additional advice? Thanks!

United States of America
Seaplane Steve
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver 3608

Postby Seaplane Steve » September 12th, 2023, 4:35 pm

I am going to try to resurrect this thread.

Our 1990 looks like the wall covering has been painted and overall does not look bad. Between the ice maker and the lower helm there is an old marine radio that is not hooked to an antenna and an ice scoop holder that is covering up a bunch of holes.

Any thoughts on replacing a section of the wall and making it blend in?

May be easiest to just leave it.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 12th, 2023, 5:10 pm

If you like the old sailboat or trawler look there is always teak or mahogany panels etc.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “The Project Center”