Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Transporting a Carver 405 (370, 406) OTR

Topic author United States of America
Johnnykey
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 98' Carver 405

Transporting a Carver 405 (370, 406) OTR

Postby Johnnykey » July 8th, 2020, 1:56 pm

Hi, I have been looking for information regarding this very Carver 405 (370, 406) transport issue for a few months now, and haven't found much info on actual height, on the truck or what actually has to come off the top in order to transport these boats Over The Road.

So in the interest of information sharing, I'm going to share my upcoming project with you. The mission is to get a 1998 405 from Lake Travis in Texas, to My home marina in La Crosse Wisconsin, without busting the thing up.

The boat in question was purchased on June 7th on Lake Travis near Austin Texas, after I flew down personally for an inspection, after receiving an "Above Average" Survey in May. BTW, Lake Travis and the boaters down that way were Wonderful!

I've hired a well known to Me, yacht transporter out of Hastings Minnesota, for the actual trucking. This transporter is confident that removing the entire bridge assembly will bring a 14', 2" height on the trailer, in one piece the boat is 20', 4" tall. I have also contracted a well known (Not to Me) boat yard on Lake Travis to disassemble the boat in preparation for the transporter due to arrive at Lake Travis this July 15th. And travel lift sling the boat onto the trailer. Take boat to Wisconsin, and when the boat arrives in La Crosse Wisconsin on July 17th, "God willin and the creek don't rise", I will reassemble said boat, drive it over to My slip and sip a cocktail. What could possibly go wrong?

Here's a picture of the boat. I love pictures, more coming. And I expect lots of chiming in here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Johnnykey on July 9th, 2020, 8:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Johnnykey
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Re: Transporting a Carver 405 (370, 406) OTR

Postby Johnnykey » July 8th, 2020, 2:32 pm

So, while I was on the boat down Austin way, I went thru the captains log and found out that the boat had been moved OTR from Dallas to Austin, in 2016 by the previous owner. The log still had the transport receipt.

In My quest for knowledge on moving Carver 405's on trucks, I decided to call the previous transporter and see if they remembered moving that boat and possibly, maybe, even had some pictures?

I called, and they did remember the boat, and were quite friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, the trip from Dallas to Austin's height requirement allows for loads 15'+. They did not remember the actual height but said "over 15' So no help there, but a cool picture anyway.

Here's the picture that they sent Me from the 2016 move.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Johnnykey
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Johnnykey » July 8th, 2020, 2:38 pm

And one more, a "nighttime shot", same 2016 move.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 8th, 2020, 3:02 pm

Max load height for most roads is 13' 6". Not sure where 14'2" comes from but maybe the route they are taking is an exception. As for what needs to be done to break her down it can be quite extensive like mine was. See pictures in my signature.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » July 8th, 2020, 3:16 pm

I moved mine on water for about 450 miles after purchase it was a great trip. Shame your having to break it down for the land trip
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Johnnykey
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Johnnykey » July 8th, 2020, 6:33 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Max load height for most roads is 13' 6". Not sure where 14'2" comes from but maybe the route they are taking is an exception. As for what needs to be done to break her down it can be quite extensive like mine was. See pictures in my signature.

Hi Midnightsun, interesting pictures, thanks for that. I'm thinking that the Carver nomenclature is not much different between the 2 boats. Evidently Your pictures are not searchable, hence the reason for My thread. When you re-assembled your flybridge wiring on the 07', did You find a single main connector for the bridge wiring, or several, Main and ancillary, or?? Pics?

Johnnykey
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Johnnykey » July 8th, 2020, 6:42 pm

g36 wrote:Source of the post I moved mine on water for about 450 miles after purchase it was a great trip. Shame your having to break it down for the land trip

Yes, breaking it down is more than I was after. I've always been able to find the boat that I was after, between the Minneapolis and Chicago (sometimes Michigan) markets.

NOT this year. I've talked to My connections nationwide and I'm told the same thing. With the virus and lockdowns, Large boats are selling fast and prices are up. After staying close to home for a few months everyone was looking for an escape, and what better way than boating. Tiki bars on the river are open in Wisconsin, lol.

Edit: Assuming that your windlass is holding a plow anchor, how many pounds are you working with?

Johnnykey
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Johnnykey » July 10th, 2020, 8:48 pm

So, even with a months notice, the problems begin.

Boat Dismantling marina says they may need a crane. Boat getting pulled Monday AM.

Transporter says they may need 2 trucks. Truck arriving to pick up boat Wednesday AM.

I knew this was coming, the problem is: How do You pack an aft deck hard top, 5 top supports, radar arch, helm controls "pod", helm seat base, flybridge "horse shoe", bridge bimini frame, on one truck? I'm told that when the boats left Pulaski Wisconsin they only used one truck. I think it can be done.

Edit: A picture of it being done, would help wouldn't it?

Johnnykey
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Johnnykey » July 10th, 2020, 9:21 pm

Just so we're all on the same page, here are some pics of My old Carver 370, same bridge set up. The seat base is also part of the cabin entrance, with a helm "pod" mounted on it. With a seperate wrap around bridge sides.

Johnnykey
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Johnnykey » July 10th, 2020, 9:27 pm

One More Starboard.

Return to “The Project Center”