Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Access to swim platform bolts 3807

Topic author United States of America
HeyJude
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin
Twin 7.4 mercruisers
Cape Cod

Access to swim platform bolts 3807

Postby HeyJude » April 30th, 2021, 8:04 am

Good morning,
Looking to reseat my swim platform bolts that are showing rust trails / water intrusion on the bulkhead. I was able to hinge the aft cabin bed down the middle, this should make it easier to perform routine cleaning and inspection. I’ve been able to remove the swim platform bolts & backing stainless on the portside but can’t figure out how I would remove the ones on the starboard without cutting an access panel thru the back of the dresser. Any thoughts?

Thanks Dave

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Re: Access to swim platform bolts 3807

Postby Viper » April 30th, 2021, 11:53 am

I think the worse part is going to be getting access through the shower. I don't see any other way than cutting out an access panel there. I want to replace my platform and right now, that's what's basically keeping me from pulling the trigger. Will have no choice though.

HeyJude
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Twin 7.4 mercruisers
Cape Cod

Postby HeyJude » May 1st, 2021, 7:24 am

Looks like I’ll revisit getting to the starboard side until I have the time, it was a little tricky getting bolts out solo. Fortunately I can address the worst ones now. Thank you Viper, I’ll keep you posted.
Dave

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 1st, 2021, 7:29 am

Dave, I haven't forgotten about checking how to dismantle the bridge windshield, just haven't had a chance to get to the boat yet.

HeyJude
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Twin 7.4 mercruisers
Cape Cod

Postby HeyJude » May 1st, 2021, 8:43 am

Viper, you are right the top frame piece needed to removed around the corner piece this allowed me to pry frame up and push out window. I’m now looking to have new glass made, matched up. It does have the Taylor made etching. Might be original think it’s grey tint not sure of material. Would you know if it’s Acrylic ? Thanks for reaching out thanks.

Canada
Justright
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: New owner of 1984 Riviera 2807, purchased October 2021. Pre-purchase survey found the boat to be very solid structurally and mechanically. The electronics were expensive when new (1994) but are now dated. The original instruments work, except for the engine synchronizer. The twin Pleasurecraft Marine 351W Ford engines and Velvet Drives are in top shape. The boat is in storage for the winter. In Spring 2022, I will update the electronics, install a larger swim platform and begin making cosmetic improvements, such as refinishing all the teak brightwork, and I might replace the analog gauges, etc. Now we have the winter to decide on a name! She will be moored at Bayview marine in Portland, ON.

Postby Justright » October 27th, 2021, 7:15 pm

Viper,
I'm a new Riviera 2807 (1984) owner and my winter project is rebuilding and/or replacing my swim platform. First challenge is to get the old one off. There are four mounting points to the transom, each with, I believe, three bolts. All bolt heads are inside, just the nuts accessible from outside. I'm hoping the bolt heads are fixed in place and the nuts will easily be removed, but that wouldn't be reality, right? Nevertheless, being forever hopeful I'm counting on at least one forum member knowing about this. Please--and thank you!

HeyJude
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Twin 7.4 mercruisers
Cape Cod

Postby HeyJude » October 30th, 2021, 8:51 am

Justright,
My bolts were not fixed in place, still need to figure out removal on the starboard side might have to cut access panel.
Good luck, Dave

Canada
Justright
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: New owner of 1984 Riviera 2807, purchased October 2021. Pre-purchase survey found the boat to be very solid structurally and mechanically. The electronics were expensive when new (1994) but are now dated. The original instruments work, except for the engine synchronizer. The twin Pleasurecraft Marine 351W Ford engines and Velvet Drives are in top shape. The boat is in storage for the winter. In Spring 2022, I will update the electronics, install a larger swim platform and begin making cosmetic improvements, such as refinishing all the teak brightwork, and I might replace the analog gauges, etc. Now we have the winter to decide on a name! She will be moored at Bayview marine in Portland, ON.

Postby Justright » October 30th, 2021, 7:24 pm

Thanks. The boat is wrapped up for winter at our marina and I can't access the inside of the transom until spring. But I'll try removing the nuts from the outside report back!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 30th, 2021, 11:40 pm

Justright wrote:Source of the post Thanks. The boat is wrapped up for winter at our marina and I can't access the inside of the transom until spring. But I'll try removing the nuts from the outside report back!

You could put a zippered door in the shrink......you can go in and out all winter.......just keep a ladder under the boat.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “The Project Center”