Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Power inverter

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Re: Power inverter

Postby pepmyster » May 11th, 2021, 11:23 am

I agree with everyone here, you do get what you pay for. I will now go with a pure sine wave model. Looking at Victron models. Most likely a 370 watt model. If anyone has other suggestions, I would be great to hear different experiences.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 11th, 2021, 11:35 am

Be aware of the wattage draw of the items you are going to power up, that will give you the amps at 12vdc draw for sizing feed wiring and inverter size which is an important consideration. Another thing to consider on units that have a fan to cool them is the noise level of the fan/fans when they kick in, especially when watching tv at night.
Also consider the draw on the house battery bank when away from the dock, remember what comes out has to be put back.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tgebler
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2000 396 AC

Postby tgebler » May 11th, 2021, 11:39 am

Ok, I am going to ask a real stupid question. I have a 2000 396 aft cabin and do not have an inverter. I am not sure what exactly it does and whether I should have one. I have a generator to run things when away from the dock but it would be nice to not have to use it all the time.

Help??!!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 11th, 2021, 11:45 am

tgebler wrote:Source of the post Ok, I am going to ask a real stupid question. I have a 2000 396 aft cabin and do not have an inverter. I am not sure what exactly it does and whether I should have one. I have a generator to run things when away from the dock but it would be nice to not have to use it all the time.

Help??!!

Have a quick search thru the electrical section .....there has been a number of discussion threads about inverters and battery banks/wiring etc......that should give you a good start.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 11th, 2021, 12:43 pm

tgebler wrote:Source of the post ....I have a 2000 396 aft cabin and do not have an inverter. I am not sure what exactly it does and whether I should have one.....
An inverter is just another way of getting AC power other than being plugged in to shore power at the dock or running your generator. In simple terms, the inverter takes DC power from your batteries and converts it to AC power for running AC appliances, accessories, etc.

BYW, there's no such thing as stupid questions here. Never be afraid of asking anything, we're all here to help and learn from one another.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 11th, 2021, 1:19 pm

BYW, there's no such thing as stupid questions here. Never be afraid of asking anything, we're all here to help and learn from one another.

Whats the number for 911? :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » May 11th, 2021, 2:36 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Nice come back Hans!!!!!!!!!
If any of users here have any model inputs with their trials, or errors, let me know!

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » May 13th, 2021, 6:09 am

Ok. Just hear me out. Way too many ways to do this. Hyper simple or really going for broke. I'm tossed. So, either simple inverter, pure of course, Or, get a 3000 watt and plug the main cord into it when I want to use it. That being said, I would build an outlet in the covered section where my wires are and then just use an adapter to make the connection. There forth, I would be able to even run my AC when on the hook , blah blah blah! Any thoughts?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 13th, 2021, 8:36 am

The issue with the big inverter is going to be the DC wiring and the battery bank. You need to do that right or don't do it at all, because that will be a big issue if not done correctly. You can make a temporary connection to the output of the inverter, but most of the big ones provide for an automatic switchover if they are hardwired in. If I had a generator that could handle the big stuff, then I'd just get a small inverter for the small stuff, or convert the small stuff to just use 12VDC directly (a lot of the newer TVs can do that).

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » May 13th, 2021, 8:46 am

I hear you. Going through all the logistics of the connections and wires, thinking about it, I had the discussion with the Admiral even last night about all this. I mean, we have the genney to run the large loads, as Hans suggested, I guess the route to take is a smaller one just to do the ice maker and such.

Return to “The Project Center”