Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Shower sump

Topic author United States of America
jsurfwhite
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 Aft Deck

Shower sump

Postby jsurfwhite » July 7th, 2021, 7:02 pm

My forward shower sump has failed on my 2000 356 Aft Cabin. What are recommendations on replacement? I see an Atwood sump box on Amazon that may work. Thanks

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Shower sump

Postby g36 » July 7th, 2021, 7:37 pm

Whats meant by failed? Float switch ? or you could take the pump out and check the bottom of it for hair etc that can get wrapped around the shaft. You could just replace the switch or pump that's in the sump now . Good chance it's a small rule pump.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author United States of America
jsurfwhite
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 Aft Deck

Postby jsurfwhite » July 8th, 2021, 6:37 am

Pump is not coming on. Could be pump or switch. I have not investigated failure mode yet. One of my boating associates recommended a full sump replacement.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral

Postby g36 » July 8th, 2021, 7:34 am

I would then check for sump breaker tripped. If it is Then pull pump and check for hair at bottom of pump this can cause pump breaker to trip. And test float if not pump.. my sump breakers are under step coming in from sun deck not sure if yours on 356 is same.. You can replace the whole box but save some money and replace only whats needed. Imo.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » July 8th, 2021, 8:55 am

I would think it is just the float switch. You can test by bypassing the switch. If it is the float switch, make sure you replace with a low profile type like the flat Attwood. Needs to stay under the screen and still get to on position. $40 instead of $200, and much easier to replace. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral

Postby g36 » July 8th, 2021, 10:58 am

I only posted about hair on the pump throwing breaker because I have had this happen to me and I sure never thought about it being the problem. Either thing pump or float should be a easy fix
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Rob Lynch
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 carver 440 my / 1125 hrs / twin Cummins 6ct8 turbo

Postby Rob Lynch » July 8th, 2021, 11:17 am

Just had this issue last week on our 440. Older floats relied on a mercury ball which is likely the issue. Cut the electrical feed wires and touch together. This should activate the pump confirming your float requires replacement. Inexpensive (50) and no more than 30 mins to complete

Return to “The Project Center”