Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Solar Panel Update

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Solar Panel Update

Postby tonyiiiafl » July 17th, 2021, 5:17 pm

As many of you know I installed a 400 Watt solar panel system on the Holodeck. I made 2 sets of panels in. Series to join in Pharrell, so if 1 set failed, the other would function. Anyway, we gave it a whirl My house bank is 2 6V GC batteries wired in series to make. 12. We took off yesterday afternoon for a mooring to see what it could do. During the moon lit night, the controller was kicking 1 - 1.5 amps. In the AM, the batteries were down to 80%. Before solar we were at 70%. Running were lights, water pump, 12V fans, original refrigerator on 12V and cell phone chargers. By 11:30 this AM the batteries were back up to 100%! It was a partly cloudy day, so not optimum conditions. At the peak the controller was pumping put 26 Amps. Then as we neared closer to 100% it cut back to less. I was leary to try to see if as claimed the controller would shut off when another source was present, but when I started the engines, the controller cut right back to 0 amps. . We are looking forward to trying these ion a sunny day and a week trip. My verdict: IF you have the real estate (Flat Hard top) install some panels. MPPT controller, 4 100 watt panels.
68CF9B6F-C634-46E0-ADC1-A3C436E1B3B3.jpeg
51F8A577-23AA-4425-A26D-68A038010CA4.jpeg
68CF9B6F-C634-46E0-ADC1-A3C436E1B3B3.jpeg
4ED8BE4D-9080-4E48-B247-7E386F7CA011.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
madalinet
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Re: Solar Panel Update

Postby madalinet » March 5th, 2023, 9:22 am

I'm impressed that you made two sets of panels in series to join in parallel for added redundancy.

United States of America
abigaletale
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby abigaletale » March 5th, 2023, 9:29 am

It's great to hear that even in partly cloudy conditions, your solar panels could recharge your batteries and power all of your electrical equipment. It's also great to hear that your MPPT controller could detect when your engines are running and switch off accordingly.
If you're interested in optimizing your solar panel system even further, you may want to check out Yenex products. They offer high-quality solar panel accessories to help you get the most out of your system.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » March 5th, 2023, 3:31 pm

yes, I did the redundant thing. That way if one panel goes out there is still 1/2 the system running.

Return to “The Project Center”