Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver swim platform project

Topic author United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Carver swim platform project

Postby Helmsman » February 17th, 2022, 9:29 am

I recently saw a garage built swim platform blog for a Carver 3207 Aft Cabin. I sold my Carver two years ago, but learned so much about owning a larger boat from you guys that I immediately thought about this site. The blog is well done and outlines the steps with pictures along the way.

I thought this may benefit someone considering replacing their platform. I think the steps and seat are a great add, and the additional storage would be awesome. This may have been posted a few years ago here, since the blog is from 2011.

Anyway, here it is. I hope you enjoy it as much I did.

https://www.lakestclair.net/threads/diy ... -ii.87873/

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Carver swim platform project

Postby km1125 » February 17th, 2022, 12:25 pm

That member (Matt) is also a member here, although I don't think he's been active for a while. He also posted some pics and info on that swim platform project in this section. He has done numerous projects on that same boat, including making a fiberglass arch and a hardtop of the aft deck. More recently he redid the heads and galley.

If nothing else, reviewing his projects get you motivated to take on stuff on your own boat, even if they never rise to the complexity of the things he takes on!

Canada
Justright
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: New owner of 1984 Riviera 2807, purchased October 2021. Pre-purchase survey found the boat to be very solid structurally and mechanically. The electronics were expensive when new (1994) but are now dated. The original instruments work, except for the engine synchronizer. The twin Pleasurecraft Marine 351W Ford engines and Velvet Drives are in top shape. The boat is in storage for the winter. In Spring 2022, I will update the electronics, install a larger swim platform and begin making cosmetic improvements, such as refinishing all the teak brightwork, and I might replace the analog gauges, etc. Now we have the winter to decide on a name! She will be moored at Bayview marine in Portland, ON.

Postby Justright » February 20th, 2022, 12:24 pm

Hi,
I just had a three-foot deep swim platform made for my '84 2807. It's aluminum, which might not suit everyone's taste, but it is lightweight, rot-proof and will be rugged enough to withstand the torture testing of grandchildren and dogs. It's also very affordable compared to the F/G platforms I have seen. I'm new to the forum and don't know if or how I can add a photo. PM me and I'll send one to you. BTW, the old platform is free to anyone who wants it! I live near Metcalfe, ON.
Thanks

p.s. Now I'm working on steps a dog can navigate to the platform. The mid-transom steps of a 2807 are a challenge. Suggestions welcome!
Last edited by Justright on March 3rd, 2022, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 20th, 2022, 1:44 pm

Justright wrote:Source of the post
... I'm new to the forum and don't know if or how I can add a photo. ...

Just below the box where you type... click "add files" and choose the picture. Once uploaded then select "Place Inline" and it will stick the picture wherever the curser currently sits.

CYO_add_files2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 21st, 2022, 8:10 am

Look into a spiral staircase, they work great for that model, and I'm thinking a dog should be able to use it. I know of one at a local marina, next time I'm close by, I'll take a pic and post it.

Canada
Justright
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: New owner of 1984 Riviera 2807, purchased October 2021. Pre-purchase survey found the boat to be very solid structurally and mechanically. The electronics were expensive when new (1994) but are now dated. The original instruments work, except for the engine synchronizer. The twin Pleasurecraft Marine 351W Ford engines and Velvet Drives are in top shape. The boat is in storage for the winter. In Spring 2022, I will update the electronics, install a larger swim platform and begin making cosmetic improvements, such as refinishing all the teak brightwork, and I might replace the analog gauges, etc. Now we have the winter to decide on a name! She will be moored at Bayview marine in Portland, ON.

Postby Justright » March 3rd, 2022, 5:21 pm

km1125
So I was able to attach two photos of the new platform—thanks for your help!

I will attach it to the boat soon. My question for the forum now is does anyone know the length of the 10 SS mounting bolts? I had to cut off two nuts as the bolt heads were turning inside the transom when I removed the platform. I didn't have extra hands to hold those bolts on the inside. I'd like to have the right bolts when I go to the marina. I know there are other options for anchoring bolts, etc., but straight replacement seems the easiest, assuming I can access the inside of the transom where they are.

BTW, the boat is a 1984 Riviera, though I'd guess all 28' models have the same bolt sizes.

Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Justright on April 14th, 2022, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 4th, 2022, 8:29 am

Do you have the "attachments" tab below the box where you reply?

CYO_attachments.jpg

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 21st, 2022, 9:57 pm

Here are the pics of a spiral staircase on a Riviera I mentioned above:

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 22nd, 2022, 9:44 am

Wow, those look nice!! I think I'd try and get them power-coated though. Just a personal thing... I think there's "too much" aluminum there on first glance.

They also look way more practical than the ladder I had on the 3607 (which was pretty much the same on all Carvers of that vintage). Too many folks got nervous on that ladder but I don't think they'd have any problem with those stairs.

United States of America
Petemait
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver Riviera

Postby Petemait » June 2nd, 2022, 9:09 am

Viper- The spiral staircase on that 2807 is incredible. I know this is an old thread but thanks for posting.
Pete

1983 Riviera 2807

Boston, MA

Return to “The Project Center”